[Vision2020] google earth

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Feb 9 06:34:14 PST 2008

I have been a Google earth junkie since it first came out.

As far as overlays are concerned, the fun ones are at:

http://www.gearthhacks.com/downloads/popular.php

For the more serious minded overlays I browse on over to:

http://tinyurl.com/ynulxx

I have tons of overlays downloaded from various sites.  NORAD even
provided Santa's Christmas 2007 route as a Google Earth overlay.

Google Earth also allows you to develop your own overlay, which I have
done several times with Moscow (i.e. Central Business District, etc. etc.)

After the overlay has been created, "snapshots" can be taken cnd converted
into a multitude of formats.

> It's nothing as nefarious as that.
>
> The low res images such as Pullman are the public domain satellite
> images, which are available for the whole planet. The high res images,
> such as Moscow, are actually high altitude aircraft photographs.  Google
> Earth puts them both together, with a preference to the high res when
> available.  Pullman, simply has not been photographed (in the public
> domain at least).
>
> You will notice that Oregon is recently all hi res now, I assume that
> the state commissioned the photographs.
>
> Have any of you explored the user data overlays available?  You an get
> everything from Bigfoot sightings to  current weather data.  Attached
> are two of my favorite .klm's.  One is cool (or hot actually) and the
> other is damned scary.  Just click them and say "open with GoogleEarth".
>
> Dave
"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)