[Vision2020] Hawkins Mall and Moscow

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Wed Feb 6 19:35:53 PST 2008

This is my concern: the agreement allows Hawkins to hook into
Moscow's water and sewer systems as if they are within the city
limits. However, other out-of-limits developments are not granted the
same privilege. If a mall or subdivision wants city services, it must
be annexed so that it pays the same taxes to the city as every other
development. Based on the agreement, Hawkins will not pay any propery
taxes nor use fees beyond what in-city developments such as the
Palouse Empire Mall pay.

My question is: what happens when the City is required by federal or
state law to upgrade our sewer or water systems (or are assessed
fines as we those we recently shelled out for failure to meet federal
standards). Will Hawkins have to contribute their fair share to those
expensive endeavors or do we, the citizens of Moscow, have to
subsidize their commercial use?

Kit Craine