[Vision2020] Obama rally in Boise

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Feb 4 06:55:08 PST 2008

Thank you, Rep. Ringo, for your excellent commentary on Barack Obama's
rally in Boise, an event I hope marks an evolutionary beginning of Idaho.

Curiosity got the better of me, so . . .

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=obama+boise&search_type=

I will browse through these even more this afternoon.

> Visionaries:
>
> February 4, 2008
> News From Boise
>
> Representative Shirley Ringo
>

> Before I report on legislative matters, I want to share comments about
> my experiences this weekend.
>

> During my initial run for the legislature in 1998, I was amused by
> people who whispered to me, "I am a Democrat, too."  In addition, there
> were the usual comments about the state Democrat meetings held in phone
> booths, etc.  Saturday, I was fortunate to be in attendance at BSU's
> Taco Bell Arena for Barack Obama's rally and speech.
>

> This was an extraordinary event for a number of reasons.  I am not
> certain of the number of attendees - the arena was filled and people
> were turned away.  There were at least 13,000, with people lined up to
> get in by 6 AM.  There was no thought of convening in a phone booth.  In
> the recent past, attracting young folks to political gatherings has been
> a challenge.  Last Saturday, they came in large numbers.
>

> I suppose many of you already know I am chronologically enhanced, so I
> am giving away no secrets.  I have had the opportunity to see several
> presidential candidates.  During my junior year at WSU, John Kennedy
> spoke at Bryan Hall as he began his campaign for the presidency.  I have
> attended speeches by Al Gore, John Kerry, President Bill Clinton, and
> Hillary Clinton.  Barack Obama's energy and optimism are reminiscent of
> those qualities many thought John Kennedy brought to the presidency.
>

> Earlier in 2007, when the large slate of candidates from my party
> emerged, I was delighted with them.  Of course, the process narrows the
> choices before we have much opportunity to weigh in.  I have struggled
> mightily in making a selection.  I am excited about Obama's thoughts for
> working to resolve the great challenges we face.  When you hear him
> speak, you believe he can actually make a difference.  We'll know more
> about the direction we're taking after this "Super Tuesday."  I felt
> close to this process Saturday, and count myself as very fortunate.
>

> (I ask the indulgence of my Republican friends - this was a unique event
> that may be of interest to everybody.)

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)