[Vision2020] Obama rally in Boise

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Mon Feb 4 06:38:29 PST 2008

Visionaries:

February 4, 2008
News From Boise

Representative Shirley Ringo

Before I report on legislative matters, I want to share comments about my experiences this weekend.

During my initial run for the legislature in 1998, I was amused by people who whispered to me, "I am a Democrat, too."  In addition, there were the usual comments about the state Democrat meetings held in phone booths, etc.  Saturday, I was fortunate to be in attendance at BSU's Taco Bell Arena for Barack Obama's rally and speech.

This was an extraordinary event for a number of reasons.  I am not certain of the number of attendees - the arena was filled and people were turned away.  There were at least 13,000, with people lined up to get in by 6 AM.  There was no thought of convening in a phone booth.  In the recent past, attracting young folks to political gatherings has been a challenge.  Last Saturday, they came in large numbers.

I suppose many of you already know I am chronologically enhanced, so I am giving away no secrets.  I have had the opportunity to see several presidential candidates.  During my junior year at WSU, John Kennedy spoke at Bryan Hall as he began his campaign for the presidency.  I have attended speeches by Al Gore, John Kerry, President Bill Clinton, and Hillary Clinton.  Barack Obama's energy and optimism are reminiscent of those qualities many thought John Kennedy brought to the presidency.

Earlier in 2007, when the large slate of candidates from my party emerged, I was delighted with them.  Of course, the process narrows the choices before we have much opportunity to weigh in.  I have struggled mightily in making a selection.  I am excited about Obama's thoughts for working to resolve the great challenges we face.  When you hear him speak, you believe he can actually make a difference.  We'll know more about the direction we're taking after this "Super Tuesday."  I felt close to this process Saturday, and count myself as very fortunate.

(I ask the indulgence of my Republican friends - this was a unique event that may be of interest to everybody.)