[Vision2020] Recalling Winters Past

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 4 05:09:09 PST 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008 09:17, Tom Hansen wrote:
> Those of you that have expressed your experiences with the Moscow Winter
> of 1968/69 are right.  What we have here this winter barely qualifies as
> a spring day in the park compared to Winter 1968/69.

I missed the milder 1968/69 winter here in Moscow because I was still in
Bonners Ferry attending my senior year of high school, and pumping
gasoline, diesel, and changing and repairing flat tires on cars, pickups,
and logging trucks. One evening at JB's Enco station downtown (now a
parking lot by the new fire station) it got so cold that the gasoline pumps
froze, so gas customers went unserved. While I was spending my Christmas
vacation earning $1.10 an hour outside at the station, my father and his
father-in-law were outside shoveling snow from the main floor decking of
the house they were constructing for our family. Those two men are gone,
but the house still stands.

According to the weather.com site, it got down to minus 23, 33, and 28 on
the last three days of December, 1968, then and still the lowest
temperatures on record for those days of the year in Bonners Ferry.

Ken