[Vision2020] Recalling Winters Past

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:26:28 PST 2008

Ellen et. al.

The weather records do not lie:

For Moscow, Idaho:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/83843?climoMonth=1

Seven record setting cold days in 1950:

Jan. 14: minus 11 F.
Jan. 15: minus 17 F.
Jan. 17: minus 21 F.
Jan. 25: minus 21 F.
Jan. 29: minus 23 F.
Jan. 30: minus 18 F.
Jan. 31: minus 26 F.

-----------------------------
And regarding January 2006 two years ago, not one single day had a daily
high below freezing in Moscow.  I checked the temperature every day.  And
that January was the warmest on record for the whole USA:

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2576.htm

The United States had its warmest January on
record<http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2006/jan/national.html>,
with an average temperature of 39.5 degrees F, which is 8.5 degrees F
(4.7degrees C) above the 1895-2005 mean of
31.0 degrees F, according to the NOAA National Climatic Data
Center<http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/ncdc.html>in Asheville,
N.C.
----------------------------
This winter Moscow is getting significant snow, but the temperatures are not
especially cold overall, considering what past cold spells have brought,
like in Jan. 1950, or in Feb. 1936:

Now this is a February cold snap, in 1936, Moscow:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/83843?climoMonth=2

Feb. 8   minus 14 F.
Feb. 13 minus 20 F.
Feb. 15 minus 19 F.