[Vision2020] Political Compass

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 4 01:21:10 PST 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008 00:42, Chasuk wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 12:29 AM, Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > http://www.politicalcompass.org/index
>
>  I score as follows:
>
> Economic Left/Right: -8.88
> Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

My scores are not quite as strong as yours, but are still very firmly in
that quadrant.

> However, I am bothered by some aspects of the test, and question its
> objectivity.  Largely, I wish there was an "Undecided" option, and
> would prefer links to some of the assertions, providing a bit of
> relevant detail.

Granting the test an "undecided" option for the questions would leave
an "easy out" for people to not register a response, which could weaken
substantially the test results, both individually and collectively.
The "forced choice" answer set, and the requirement to answer all
questions, creates greater completeness among the individual answer sets,
and therefore a better collective data set.

> Pages 5 and 6 are unambiguous; the choices are easy.  Howwever, on
> page 4, I come across this:
>
> > A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the
arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.

> If I agree, am I arguing for a one-party state?  I don't want to live
> under a one-party state (which, arguably, I do), but I might concede
> that this assertion is true.

If the nature of a local electorate is that it is so very homogeneous in
beliefs and policy preferences that dispensing with discussion and rational
argument creation and comparisons does not disadvantage the political
preferences and beliefs of any citizen, then a one-party state may actually
present governmental efficiency for that populace.

However, it is my observation and experience that very few electorates are
so homogeneous as that description. The practical result is that one-party
states effectively deny political voice to minority viewpoints not in
agreement with the ruling majority. This creates personal unhappiness,
political dissatisfaction, and, occasionally, other stronger behaviors.

> Still, fun page, I've spent many, many hours on it.

Yes. I've known of this page for several years, and it is enjoyable to
return to it as it is updated to reflect contemporary candidates.
Unfortunately, a variety of factors act to herd the candidates together on
the chart, to the disadvantage of citizens and the detriment of better
governance.

Ken