[Vision2020] fw: Disaster Emergency Declaration

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Fri Feb 1 07:59:47 PST 2008

Vizzz Peeps,

Here's a release from the Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security

State of Idaho Military Division / Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security

News Release

For Immediate Release, Jan. 31, 2008

Media contact:  Lt. Col. Tim Marsano, (208) 422-5268

_______________________________

(Boise) Due to extreme snow conditions in four northern Idaho counties,
Governor C.L. "Butch" Otter today declared a disaster emergency for
Bonner, Kootenai, Latah and Boundary Counties.

            The governor's disaster declaration paves the way for
additional state government support to those counties.  State support
could include additional personnel, equipment and facilities to help the
counties deal with threats to public safety and property.

           "I applaud these counties' efforts to cope with this weather
crisis," said Gov. Otter. "The state stands ready to provide support as
needed."

            With this emergency declaration, the Idaho Bureau of
Homeland Security has the authority to assign missions to State of Idaho
departments and agencies.  The bureau will work closely with the
counties affected to determine the best methods and sources for handling
the emergency.

            "Assisting our northern counties in managing disasters like
this one are well within the ability of Idaho's state agencies, and
Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security director Col. Bill Shawver and his
staff will work to direct available resources in manpower and equipment
to the task at hand," said Maj. Gen. Larry Lafrenz, Idaho Adjutant
General.

            At this time, the affected counties are working closely with
Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security area field officers to determine how
to best allocate those resources over the next days and weeks.

We're not sure yet what this means to us or for us, but we appreciate
the attention

Dan Carscallen
North Latah County Highway District
nlchd at nlchd.com