[Vision2020] Fragments of our Lord

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Dec 29 08:49:38 PST 2008

Keely, Ted,

The issue of eating crackers as the alleged or symbolic flesh of Christ and mental health can be described as such:

There are two cases:

1.    The crackers are really the flesh of Christ.

2.    The crackers are the flesh of Christ only in the imagination.  Eating the crackers is at most a symbolic performance of eating the flesh of Christ.

1.    The crackers are really the flesh of Christ.

This would be absurd.  They are crackers.  They are not flesh of any kind.  Only the most divorced from reality person would claim they are actual flesh, let alone the flesh of Christ.

Further, as has been demonstrated many times, the crackers are not changed physically, chemically, or in any other testable way by the mumbo-jumbo mutterings of anybody including the Pope or the Curate of Crackpotland, Douglas Wilson, no matter what absurd claims they may make.

Hence, anyone who believes that the crackers (or their crumbs) are really flesh fragments of the alleged Lord is in need the services of a competent mental health professional.

2.    The crackers are the flesh of Christ only in the imagination.  Eating the crackers is at most a symbolic performance of eating the flesh of Christ.

If the crackers are not really the flesh of Christ, they can only be that in the imagination.  The so-called flesh of Christ in this case is not real, but only imaginary.

But see what this leads to:  In two words:  symbolic cannibalism.

Consider the following outside of a religious/superstitious context:  If anyone chose to enthusiastically eat the flesh of another person in this society or directed others to do the same, they would certainly be regarded as in need the services of a competent mental health professional.

What if a person only really got off on just imagining eating the flesh of an other person or directing others to do the same (outside of some dire survival scenario)?  Again, most would likely think this person in need the services of a competent mental health professional.

Inside a religious/superstitious context:  Does the situation get any better with the symbolic rather than the actual cannibalism of the flesh of Christ?

What kind of alleged God would make absolution/salvation dependent upon the supplicant getting off on symbolically cannibalizing part of the God's son?  (Or in case of the believers of the incomprehensible Doctrine of the Trinity, cannibalizing part the flesh of the alleged God itself?)  This sounds very sick to me, and I think those who really believe it are in need the services of a competent mental health professional.

Also: this version of an alleged God makes this alleged God seem extremely pathological, and the alleged God itself in need of a competent mental health professional, if not in need of secure institutionalization.

Did this allegedly all-powerful, all-knowing, perfectly good God allegedly create the universe and humanity so this alleged God could enjoy/demand being thought of as being eaten or having his Son being eaten?  And if anyone refuses to perform this perverted act, then they can kiss eternal bliss goodbye?  Does this make sense?

(In addition, some crackpot is likely sometime to use this eating the flesh ritual as the basis for a biblical justification of cannibalism.)

Hence, whether the supplicants, like the good Reverend Bob Dietel or others, think the crackers are the actual flesh of Christ or only imagine that it is as they snack on them, the results are the same.  Such acts are either actual or symbolic cannibalism; they can hardly be characterized as mentally healthy (or pious).

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843