[Vision2020] Snow Grouch

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Mon Dec 22 19:49:08 PST 2008

Speaking as a person who not only drives a 1990 Honda Civic but one
with all-weather tires (learned how to do that Anchorage with a
Renualt LeCar ), I agree with Bev (except for 4). I can go as long as
my tires touch occasionally and I'm at the "sweet-spot" speed. I'm
stuck when some @@#$%%^$%&**  in a big honkin', gas-guzzeling SUV
with all-wheel drive, studs- all-around decides --despite the law--
that "yield right-of-way" applies to the smaller vehicle.

One of the fundamental responsibilities of government is to ensure
that the public can use their right-of-way (both streets and
sidewalks) safely and efficiently to go from point "A" to point "B".
For decades, the City of Moscow has taken pride in failing that duty.
I can't count the times I've suggested improvements to the plowing
system only to be told that I need to "accept responsibility" for my
own transportation (i.e. run a a big honkin', gas-guzzeling SUV with
all-wheel drive, studs- all-around or stay off the streets) rather
than demanding that the nanny government take care of me by actually
plowing the streets. I've fought for years to get the city to enforce
the ordinance which makes properly owners responsible for clearing
their sidewalks are clear of ice and snow. Same answer. I should
"accept responsibility for my safety" by either wearing Yak-Traks or
staying off icy areas (i.e. walk in the traffic lanes) so as to avoid
harm caused by the property owner's negligence.

In other words, the city has dumped their responsibility for traffic/
pedestrian safety on the users of the public right-of-way. After
banging my head against this for years, I've come to the realization
that the only solution to the city's failure to  clear the streets
and sidewalks is to have each and every person who suffers harm as a
result --SUE the city for mega-bucks.

I am saying nothing against the hard-working people who drive the
plows. They do an awesome job involving long hours. My criticism is
to the managers who tell those workers to not leave a berm as they
carefully go around parked cars rather than telling the owners to
move their vehicles. Citizen participation in snow removal should
involve helping the city, not having to run a big honkin', gas-
guzzeling SUV with all-wheel drive, studs-all-around in order to get
around.

Kit Craine

P.S. To the idiot who pulled out of the Co-op parking lot into my
path at about 1:50 pm on the 21st as I was swimming my Civic through
the berm doing a left turn into the lot: you deserved to be flipped
off and the curses I laid on your head. By law, you were required to
yield me the right-of-way. That means you stop and wait until I
complete my maneuver. The fact your vehicle was bigger than mine is
inmaterial.