[Vision2020] Shoe-Tossing Rallies in Canada

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 17:59:50 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 17:30, Donovan Arnold
<donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think that just inventing words, or using words that are used solely by people to be offensive to describe a group of people is wrong.

I don't know anyone who uses the word USian to offensive, solely or
otherwise.  I like it because it carries a great deal of specificity,
with no baggage.

In one of the links I mentioned clicking earlier, I found this:

http://outofthewoodsnow.blogspot.com/2008/10/usian.html

"In Spanish the word is estadounidense--literally, "United Statesian."
Is there no word like that in English? The word "American" is taken
for granted as meaning "a citizen of the U.S.," although it's only
third in Merriam-Webster's list of definitions. (Yes, Virginia, people
from Central and South America are "Americans" too.)

I know this may sound like PC posturing, but it was great to see
someone else making the appropriate distinction. Maybe it will catch
on?"

> If you want to adopt the terminology that is used by people that dislike the United States, you have every right. But I disagree and won't join you in that endeavor.

You had better stop using the word "American," then, because it, too,
is used by people who dislike the United States.