[Vision2020] Rendezvous survey

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Dec 18 05:46:19 PST 2008

I agree, Sue, and will complete the online survey once I send this posting.

The Uppity Blues Women (UBW), who performed at Rendezvous years ago, were
excellent.  I was hoping that they might return.

At their last and only perfomance at the Rendezvous, Gaye Adegbalola (the
lead singer for Uppity Blues Women) commented about the unavailability of
beer and how that might have adversely impacted attendance.  Now that beer
is available at the Rendezvous, perhaps the Rendezvous "powers that be"
can contract UBW to perform here again (please).

The Uppity Blues Women website
http://www.uppityblueswomen.com/

If not the Uppity Blues Women, how about a solo performance by Gaye
Adegbalola?  This lady has talent, a voice, and a VERY refreshing attitude.

Gaye Adegbalola
http://www.adegbalola.com/

How's this for a Rendezvous in the Park blues combo: Gaye Adegbalola and
Charles Musselwhite (who has also performed at the Rendezvous)?  Think
about it, Rendezvous peeps.

Until then . . .

Seeya round town, Moscow.

> I just completed the online survey from the Board of Directors of
> Rendezvous and lodged a concern about their almost total disregard of
> female artists.  This isn't the first time I've called it to their
> attention. I think I've lodged a complaint just about every year for the
> past four or five years.   Last year they had only one female, a really
> fine young MHS performer, Shiloh.  There were no other females
> performing on that stage Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.  This is the
> norm, not the exception.  If you share this concern with me, would you
> please add a comment to the survey.  I think there will be no parity, or
> even consideration of parity,  until it becomes a significant issue.
> I'm not even considering staying home; this is my celebration, too.  I
> relish being a member of a community that prides itself on equity and
> fairness--and I believe the members of the Rendezvous board feel that
> way, as well.  Would though, they would practice that belief in a more
> substantial way.
>
> And, yes, I know in the past there have been some remarkable women
> performing on the Rendezvous stage--Tish Hinojosa, the Dixie Chicks, and
> Kate Campbell were all wonderful, as was Mavis Staples--I was hoping
> Mavis' appearance was the beginning of a trend, but it didn't happen.
>
> Sue Hovey
Sue Hovey

"For a lapse Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman