[Vision2020] [Vision 2020] Go NAVY, Beat Army (Was GO ARMY BEAT Navy)

brentbradberry at netscape.net brentbradberry at netscape.net
Fri Dec 5 17:56:23 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Hansen <idahotom at hotmail.com>
To: brentbradberry at netscape.net; Vision 2020 <vision2020 at moscow.com>
Sent: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 4:33 pm
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] [Vision 2020] Go NAVY, Beat Army (Was GO ARMY BEAT Navy)

I see what you are saying.? But . . .

1)? The coffee brand is "Ranger" coffee.

Precisely. What else could "Ranger coffee" refer to other than coffee brewed/served aboard the USS RANGER(CV61)? I have experienced RANGER coffee (I almost said that I had ENJOYED it, but why go overboard?). I was a tin-can sailor, and one of the duties of the tin-cans (Destroyers to soldiers and other landlubbers) was to ride herd on the carriers. For a time, we operated with the RANGER in the Tonkin Gulf? -? where I went aboard RANGER occasionally.
But I much preferred tin-can coffee. I suppose that after all these years it is OK to reveal the secret of our coffee. Every month, whether we thought it necessary or not, we would clean our coffee pot by submersing it quickly in salt water. Even the snipes who worked below decks could tell our approximate location by the taste of the coffee (there is a subtle but real difference between the taste of the South China Sea as opposed to that of the Carribean, for instance). Things could get a little confused, though, if we cleaned our pot while anchored in a busy harbor.

As far as supposing that the Army consumes more coffee than the Navy, you can't be serious! In 1969 as I recall, the 300 man crew of the USS ROGERS(DD876) consumed the entire coffee production of Guatemala along with the majority of Columbia's crop for that year!

Brent Bradberry