[Vision2020] Odetta - The Last Word - New York Times

Janesta janesta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 22:58:01 PST 2008

This is a great 20 minute interview with Odetta. Also, her obituary
from the New York Times.
~~~~
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/arts/20081203_odetta.html?hp

Odetta, the singer whose resonant voice wove together the strongest
songs of American folk music and the civil rights movement, died on
Tuesday in Manhattan. She was 77.

The cause was heart disease, her manager, Doug Yeager, said.

Odetta, who lived in Upper Manhattan, had been admitted to Lenox Hill
Hospital three weeks ago with a number of ailments, including kidney
trouble, Mr. Yeager said. In her last days, he said, she had been
hoping to sing at the presidential inauguration for Barack Obama. In a
career of almost 60 years, Odetta sang at coffeehouses and at Carnegie
Hall. She became one of the best-known folk-music artists of the 1950s
and '60s. Her recordings of blues and ballads on dozens of albums
influenced Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Janis Joplin and many others.

Odetta's voice was an accompaniment to the black-and-white images of
the freedom marchers who walked the roads of Alabama and Mississippi
and the boulevards of Washington to end racial discrimination.

Rosa Parks, whose refusal to give up her seat to a white passenger led
to the boycott of segregated buses in Montgomery, Ala., was once asked
which songs meant the most to her. "All of the songs Odetta sings,"
she replied.

One of those songs was "I'm on My Way," sung during the pivotal
civil-rights March on Washington on Aug. 28, 1963. In a videotaped
interview with The New York Times in 2007 for its online feature "The
Last Word," Odetta recalled the sentiments of another song she
performed that day, "Oh Freedom," which is rooted in slavery: "Oh
freedom, Oh freedom, Oh freedom over me/ And before I'd be a slave,
I'd be buried in my grave/ And go home to my Lord and be free."

Odetta Holmes was born in Birmingham, Ala., on Dec. 31, 1930, in the
depths of the Depression. The music of that time and place —
particularly prison songs and work songs recorded in the fields of the
Deep South — shaped her life.

"They were liberation songs," she said in the interview with The
Times. She added: "You're walking down life's road, society's foot is
on your throat, every which way you turn you can't get from under that
foot. And you reach a fork in the road and you can either lie down and
die or insist upon your life."

Her father, Reuben Holmes, died when she was young, and in 1937 she
and her mother, Flora Sanders, moved to Los Angeles. Three years later
Odetta discovered that she could sing.

"A teacher told my mother that I had a voice, that maybe I should
study," she recalled. "But I myself didn't have anything to measure it
by."

She found her own voice by listening to blues, jazz and folk music
from the African-American and Anglo-American traditions. She earned a
music degree from Los Angeles City College. Her training in classical
music and musical theater was "a nice exercise, but it had nothing to
do with my life," she said.

"The folk songs were — the anger," she emphasized.

In a National Public Radio interview in 2005 she said: "School taught
me how to count and taught me how to put a sentence together. But as
far as the human spirit goes, I learned through folk music."

In 1950 Odetta began singing professionally in a West Coast production
of the musical "Finian's Rainbow," but she found a stronger calling in
the bohemian coffeehouses of San Francisco. "We would finish our play,
we'd go to the joint, and people would sit around playing guitars and
singing songs and it felt like home," she said.

She moved to New York in 1953 and began singing in nightclubs like the
storied Blue Angel, cutting a striking figure with her guitar and her
close-cropped hair, her voice plunging deep and soaring high. Her
songs blended the personal and the political, the theatrical and the
spiritual. Her first solo album, "Odetta Sings Ballads and Blues,"
released in 1956, resonated with an audience eager to hear old songs
made new.

Mr. Dylan, referring to that recording, said in a 1978 interview with
Playboy, "The first thing that turned me on to folk singing was
Odetta." He said he heard something "vital and personal," and added,
"I learned all the songs on that record." The songs included
"Muleskinner Blues," "Jack o' Diamonds" and " 'Buked and Scorned."

"What distinguished her from the start," Time magazine wrote in 1960,
"was the meticulous care with which she tried to recreate the feeling
of her folk songs; to understand the emotions of a convict in a
convict ditty, she once tried breaking up rocks with a sledgehammer."

That year she gave a celebrated solo concert at Carnegie Hall and
released a live album of it. Eight years later she was on stage there
again, now with Mr. Dylan, Pete Seeger, Judy Collins, Ramblin' Jack
Elliott and other folk stars in a tribute to Woody Guthrie, which was
also recorded for an album.

 Odetta's blues and spirituals led directly to her work for the civil
rights movement. They were two rivers running together, she said in
her interview with The Times. The words and music captured "the fury
and frustration that I had growing up."

Her fame hit a peak in 1963, when she marched with the Rev. Dr. Martin
Luther King Jr. and performed for President John F. Kennedy. But with
King's assassination in 1968, much of the wind went out of the sails
of the civil rights movement, and the songs of protest and resistance
that had been the movement's soundtrack began to fade. Odetta's fame
flagged for years thereafter.

In 1999 President Bill Clinton awarded her the National Endowment for
the Arts' National Medal of Arts. In 2003 she received a Living Legend
tribute from the Library of Congress and a National Visionary
Leadership award.

Odetta married three times: to Don Gordon, to Gary Shead, and, in
1977, to the blues musician Iverson Minter, known professionally as
Louisiana Red. The first two marriages ended in divorce; Mr. Minter
moved to Germany in 1983. There are no immediate survivors, Mr.
Yeager, Odetta's manager, said.

Odetta was singing and performing well into the 21st century — 60
concerts in the last two years, Mr. Yeager said — and her influence
stayed strong.

In April 2007, a half-century after Mr. Dylan first heard her, she
returned to Carnegie Hall to perform in a tribute to Bruce
Springsteen. She turned one of his songs, "57 Channels," into a
chanted poem, and Mr. Springsteen came out from the wings to call it
"the greatest version" of the song he had ever heard.

Reviewing a December 2006 performance, James Reed of The Boston Globe
wrote: "Odetta's voice is still a force of nature — something
commented upon endlessly as folks exited the auditorium — and her
phrasing and sensibility for a song have grown more complex and
shaded."

Mr. Reed called her "a majestic figure in American music, a direct
gateway to bygone generations that feel so foreign today."

In her 2007 interview with The Times, Odetta spoke of the long-dead
singers who first gave voice to the old blues and ballads and slavery
songs she sang. "Those people who made up the songs were the ones who
insisted upon life and living, who reaffirmed themselves," she said.
"They didn't just fall down into the cracks or the holes. And that was
an incredible example for me."