[Vision2020] Sarah Palin

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Aug 31 17:40:46 PDT 2008

However, Mr. Harkins, if one were to apply a more logical comparison
(say . . . Obama and McCain, candidates for the same office)

MCCAIN  TOTAL    MISSED

2005-Q1	81	2	2.5%
2005-Q2 	89 	5 	5.6%
2005-Q3 	76 	2 	2.6%
2005-Q4 	119 	23 	19.3%
2006-Q1 	83 	5 	6%
2006-Q2 	107 	10 	9.3%
2006-Q3 	73 	3 	4.1%
2006-Q4 	16 	8 	50%
2007-Q1 	126 	42 	33.3%
2007-Q2 	112 	81 	72.3%
2007-Q3 	119 	59	49.6%
2007-Q4	 85 	65 	76.5%
2008-Q1 	85 	50 	58.8%
2008-Q2 	77 	76 	98.7%
2008-Q3 	34 	34 	100%

OVERALL	1,282	465	36.3%

OBAMA

2005-Q1 	81 	0 	0%
2005-Q2 	89 	6 	6.7%
2005-Q3 	76 	1 	1.3%
2005-Q4 	119 	1 	0.8%
2006-Q1 	83 	0 	0%
2006-Q2 	107 	2 	1.9%
2006-Q3 	73 	1 	1.4%
2006-Q4 	16 	0 	0%
2007-Q1 	126 	3 	2.4%
2007-Q2 	112 	20 	17.9%
2007-Q3 	119 	67 	56.3%
2007-Q4 	85 	76 	89.4%
2008-Q1 	85 	31 	36.5%
2008-Q2 	77 	65 	84.4%
2008-Q3 	34 	28 	82.4%

OVERALL	1,282	301	23.5%

McCain has missed (or failed to cast) 164 more votes than Obama over the
same period.

Have you got any explanations for such a lack of interest on McCain's
behalf?

Sources for this data:

Barack Obama’s Senate Missed Votes (By the Numbers)
http://tinyurl.com/6pxzsh

John McCain’s Missed Senate Votes (By the Numbers)
http://tinyurl.com/5g98uq

However, if you are interested, we could compare foreign policy experience
between the two candidates for vice president.  Interested?

PS - I am really curious as to where you obtained your data concerning
Obama's missed votes.  They do not appear to come anywhre close to Senate
records.

> Interesting perspectives to say the least.  And
> when you compare Palin's executive experience to
> that of Obama, that would make Obama even less qualified.
>
>  From Project Vote Smart, one can get a glimpse into Obama's voting
record.

>  From their data sheets, it is interesting to
> note Obama's voting as a Senator on key
> legislation (initial passage and final conf. reports)
>
> For the period beginning January 2005 to present
>
> Not voting or not present       228
> Voting Yes or No                340
> Total votes                     568
>
> Obama was not present or did not vote on 40% of these bills
>
> I understand his performance as a state
> legislator was equally non participatory.
>
> Not exactly an endorsement of his leadership.
>
> Project Vote Smart also provides links to the
> actual bills.  As I peruse the bills, I will post interesting findings.
>
> For example, in the category of Agricultural
> Issues, over his term he has not voted on 6 of
> the 7 bills in the set. On health issues, he
> chose to not vote on 20 of the 30 bills in that
> set. On education, he did not vote on 6 of the 11
> items in the set. On the federal budget, he did
> not vote on 48 of the 89 bills in the set.  On
> the environment, he did not vote on14 of the 22 items in the set.
>
> No doubt there will be patterns or threads that can be gleaned.
>
> On the other hand, it appears that Palin has
> achieved more change in two years in AK as
> governor than Obama has in his entire career.
>
> Are either of them qualified to be running for
> president. Probably not the best choices. But
> only one of them is.  It is unlikely he will get my
vote.