[Vision2020] Don't Get Stuck on "Stupid"

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Aug 31 13:47:33 PDT 2008

When it comes to disasters such as Huricanes Katrina or Gustav, we don't
need politicians involving themselves for the sake of a political photo-op.

We need the likes of retired Lieutenant General Russel Honore'.

Read this article and you will agree with me.

>From the January 14, 2008 edition of the Christian Science Monitor at:

http://tinyurl.com/6877mc

General Honoré, Katrina and the Army behind him, retains civic aims
Retired Friday from the Army, he wants to help the public attain
a 'culture of preparedness' like that of the cold-war era.

--------

http://tinyurl.com/6okd2t
After the storm: Honoré is known as the 'John Wayne dude' who shook New
Orleans out of its daze after hurricane Katrina.

--------

NEW ORLEANS and ATLANTA - As commander of the First Army, Lt. Gen. Russel
Honoré spent years preparing for a worst-case disaster that could befall
his territory east of the Mississippi. When it came ashore on Aug. 29,
2005, hurricane Katrina exceeded his grimmest expectations.

Known as the gruff, cigar-munching "John Wayne dude" who shook New Orleans
out of its daze after the flood, General Honoré retired Friday from a 37-
year Army career in a ceremony at Ft. Gillem, just outside Atlanta.

In a Monitor interview, Honoré said he doesn't want his turning-point
performance after the storm to be his only legacy. He hopes to make a
mark, too, with what's next: an effort to guide civilian America,
especially young people, back to the kind of "culture of preparedness"
that was part of his own cold-war upbringing.

The greatest and largely unlearned lesson of Katrina, Honoré says, is that
despite investments and improvements in federal and state disaster
response, civic response remains weak.

"I'm sure you and your wife have a plan to meet at Uncle Joe's house, but
does your plan include asking Mrs. Smith next door if she needs a ride?"
he says. "We saw a lot of Mrs. Smiths in New Orleans."

Honoré will move to Atlanta's Emory University, where his immediate task
will be to build a disaster-relief curriculum for use at colleges. He's
also writing a book that he hopes to publish before next hurricane season.
He hasn't ruled out entering politics, either, possibly in Louisiana.

Earlier this month, Honoré met with Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue (R) to
discuss a gambit that would include adding lifesaving and disaster
preparedness to Peach State school curricula.

"To be able to save someone's life, to keep [the injured] alive until they
can be rescued, that needs to be put back into our culture," Honoré says.

The general is right, says Patrick Green, a French Quarter street sweeper
who spent four days in the Super Dome before being evacuated. "No one was
prepared," says Mr. Green. "It was shameful."

Honoré is also urging that drugstores and grocery stores be required to
keep generators on hand so they can keep operating after a disaster.

Honore's plans to buck up the civilian corps are commendable, says former
Sen. Gary Hart, author of "The Shield and the Cloak: The Security of the
Commons." But Mr. Hart disagrees that the focus of disaster relief needs
to shift away from the responsibility of government.

"We still haven't done enough on ports, emergency response, and not just
border security south, but north," says Hart. "The caliber and quality are
still lacking."

Meantime, Honoré's growl and visage are stamped on the consciousness of
New Orleans. His "can-do" attitude and one-liners like "Don't get stuck on
stupid" earned him local plaudits, says Chad Rogers, who runs The Dead
Pelican political website in Baton Rouge. La. "He was the commanding
presence we all needed."

New Orleans artist Greg Giegucz and his roommates named a beagle
puppy "Honoré." "He's a national treasure," says Mr. Giegucz of the
retired general. "I wish he'd come back and run for mayor."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

“You just have to wonder how some men could be so evil that they would
seek the destruction of thousands of lives in order to win at politics.”

- Dale Courtney (August 30, 2008)