[Vision2020] Washington State Republicans Seek Distance From McCain, National Party

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Aug 31 12:53:38 PDT 2008

>From today's (August 31, 2008) Seattle Times at:

http://tinyurl.com/6nzqz3

Washington state Republicans seek distance from McCain, national party
By David Postman

----------------

http://tinyurl.com/5fe3z7
Dino Rossi, Republican candidate for governor, doesn't see himself as even
sharing a ticket with presidential candidate John McCain. "We're not all
that connected with McCain," Rossi said.

----------------

John McCain will be nominated this week as the Republican candidate for
president. He likely will ride effortlessly through the party's national
convention in St. Paul, Minn.

But in Washington state, McCain will share the ballot this fall with
Republicans trying to distance themselves from the national party and
doing little to link arms with the McCain campaign.

Dino Rossi, a Republican who lists his party preference as "GOP Party," is
doing his best to bask in Barack Obama's message of change as he tries to
unseat Democratic Gov. Christine Gregoire.

Rossi talks so much about Obama on the campaign trail, you could be
forgiven for thinking they share a ticket. He doesn't mention McCain in
his stump speech.

And neither Rossi nor Republican Rep. Dave Reichert, both engaged in
competitive races, will attend this week's Republican National Convention.

On Thursday, the night Obama accepted the Democratic nomination, Rossi ran
a TV commercial and made his most obvious attempt yet to appeal to likely
Obama voters.

"Tonight the Democrats have a nominee," Rossi said in the ad. "I agree
with him on this: Change is needed, but not just in Washington, D.C."

A beaten-down brand

McCain campaign officials in the state say they're not worried about
Rossi, the state's premier Republican candidate of 2008, distancing
himself from the party's presidential candidate.

"Dino has his own coalitions he has to keep together," said Mike McKay, a
former U.S. attorney in Seattle and co-chairman for the McCain steering
committee in the state.

McKay said he's heard Rossi tout McCain on the campaign trail. McKay said
he thinks he'll hear more of that before November.

If McCain's poll numbers rise in Washington state, McKay said,
Rossi "would more closely embrace Senator McCain."

Rossi on Friday praised McCain's surprising pick for vice president,
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, as "a perfect fit" and someone who is "bright and
articulate."

Republican presidential candidates haven't done well in Washington state
since Ronald Reagan won in 1984. As Rossi well knows, that's the last time
a Republican won the governor's mansion, too.

And there are problems for McCain particular to 2008. Some state
Republicans don't want their fortunes tied to a national party beset by
President Bush's unpopularity, a faltering economy and Republican
corruption scandals on Capitol Hill.

The brand is so beaten down that Spokane County Republican Chairman Curtis
Fackler listed no party preference for his Aug. 19 primary run for
insurance commissioner. He finished third.

Fackler told Fox News that "we want to get around" the fact that 30
percent of the state's voters will vote against a Republican "no matter
what."

National distractions

A citizens initiative on the November ballot to change King County offices
to nonpartisan positions is driven in part to create distance between the
national parties and local officeholders.

Joe Fain, an aide to Republican County Councilman Pete von Reichbauer and
a spokesman for the initiative campaign, said recently that politicians
such as his boss shouldn't have to run with a party label because "they
aren't dealing with those issues that distract us at the national level."

Those distractions, such as national security, economics and social
issues, long have been the ideological ties among party members up and
down the ticket.

But Fain's comments go to the heart of what's happening with the
Republican Party in Washington state. Candidates want to draw a
distinction between Evergreen State Republicans and those from all other
states who make up the party's presence in Washington, D.C.

Other Republican candidates share that inclination with Rossi. Reichert
bases much of his re-election in the 8th District on being an independent,
moderate Republican. He said recently that he doesn't expect to do much
this year to push for a McCain victory in Washington state.

But Rossi goes further than most state Republicans. He doesn't see himself
as even sharing a ticket with McCain.

"The ticket part starts with where I am and goes down to where all the
legislative candidates are," Rossi said. He said "we're not all that
connected with" Bush, McCain or congressional Republicans.

"We do our own thing, and it is very separate and very distinct and the
issues are very different. I don't have anything to do with world peace."

To run as a ticket with McCain and to align himself with national issues,
Rossi said, would be "mixing messages."

That thinking robs the McCain campaign of active support from one of the
state's most popular Republicans. But McKay and other McCain backers say
that won't make a substantive difference here.

"A presidential campaign is strong enough to drive its own message," said
Chris Vance, a former chairman of the state Republican Party.

The Ron Paul faction

McKay, a veteran of Republican campaigns in the state, said McCain will
prove popular in Washington state. The campaign has been working to firm
up support among religious conservatives and libertarian-leaning
Republicans who backed Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

Paul supporters challenged the selection of delegates to the national
convention and, as Vance put it, "are trying to take over the state
party." But McKay said much work has been done to bring the libertarian
wing into the fold.

"We're doing our very best to encourage them to recognize that Senator
McCain is a heck of a lot better than Senator Obama in the White House,
and there is a big chunk of those who agree with us," McKay said.

State leaders of the Paul campaign could not be reached for comment. But
former Secretary of State Ralph Munro, a longtime McCain backer, said Lou
Moore, who headed Paul's campaign, "has come into the fold" and will be
traveling with McCain supporters to St. Paul.

McCain has paid field staff in the state, McKay said, and the campaign
believes it can compete in Washington state.

Vance seemed less sure. "Right now I think the McCain campaign and the RNC
think Washington state is a place they'd like to turn into a battleground
state," he said.

That can be done, Vance said, with money and a high-profile event — say,
$500,000 in TV commercials and a massive outdoor rally.

If McCain does that, Vance said, "everyone will know that he's decided to
fight for Washington state and he doesn't need Dino to help him."

A string of Republican presidential candidates have said they'd stay and
fight for Washington state votes. But since Reagan, none has kept at it
through the November election.

The Bush campaign said four years ago that it wanted to make Washington
state a battleground. There were local TV commercials and as many as eight
paid staffers at one point.

But about three weeks before Election Day, the Bush campaign's executive
director "looked at the numbers and gave up on Washington state," Vance
said.

Vance, then state party chairman, said a state campaign executive called
him and said, "I just got sent to Pennsylvania. Sorry, we're leaving."

So, what we have here is Dino Rossi running on the "Not Only am I NOT
George Bush, I am NOT John McCain Either" platform.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)