[Vision2020] Gov. Palin Foreign Policy Experience

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sun Aug 31 08:40:13 PDT 2008

ChasUK,

The fact that you thought I was joking suggests to me a certain
naivete about the dialogue.  Borders are borders and one only has to
look at the mess created locally between Moscow and Pullman over the
Hawkins development to see that executives and councilors can create
significant problems for constituents.  Recall that the mayor sued
our neighbors to the west, without the full backing of the Moscow
council - and ... well you know the rest.

Palin or any AK governor has to be able to work with interests at the
border - and AK is unique.  The closest state to a hostile nation
(Russia) and the only state separated by a foreign nation create some
unusual issues. Why don't we drop the "you're idiocy" approach and
focus on her record.  I am particularly interested in the
arrangements for the new pipeline to the mainland - that would have
probably required some delicate negotiations with Canadians.  I am
also very curious to know more about her achievements in cleaning up
fraud and corruption in AK.

Even if she isn't elected, she may inspire new players in politics to
pursue similar agendas.  It is clear we need that effort in DC (and
the lower 48).

Thanks for response on your travels and I regret the
misunderstanding.  I was to understand that you had migrated from UK
to here.  FWIW, I share your interest in foreign travel and now that
I have retired, intend to continue exploring new nests. Your plans
sound thrilling - we are focused on C and S America.

I really need to touch just a bit on your "respect" comment.  We do
differ there and I can deal with the difference and can manage
without your respect.  Fair enough?