[Vision2020] Gas prices...........

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 8 16:02:40 PDT 2008

On Friday 08 August 2008 11:24, lfalen wrote:
> I don't think you are quite right. Supply and demand still play a part in
> gas prices. There are other things that do play a part such as high gas
> taxes. Other people such as Jeff Harkins can give you a more detailed
> explanation. You might also check the web sites for Thomas Sewell, the
> Cato Institute The Milton Friedman Foundation or the Heritage Foundation.

Yes, supply and demand do "play a part in gas prices." Do supply and demand
solely control gas prices? No. The economics literature clearly shows that
gas prices respond asymmetrically to crude oil prices, that is, gas prices
go up quickly when crude prices go up, and gas prices come down more slowly
when crude prices go down. Why? Because short run market power exists among
retail gasoline sellers. [NBER 4138]

The fact of the matter is that not only are gasoline prices at all-time
highs, they are also at all-time inflation-adjusted highs. These highs were
not achieved by consumer demand at the pumps alone. They were pushed upward
faster by sellers who want to capitalize on consumer fears, and profit from
the turbulent unrest in contemporary news.

Economist Paul Samuelson wrote 44 years ago in his textbook about cost-push
or sellers' inflation, a decade before the first oil embargo. Similar
principles apply now, with the higher "cost" being simply the higher level
profitability demanded by the oil industry, which the industry is confident
of achieving from its present higher degree of oligopolistic control of
national markets. Exxon's most recent record-breaking profits illustrate
the success of the industry's strategy.

Ken