[Vision2020] City Budget Hearings

B. J. Swanson bjswan at moscow.com
Sat Aug 2 22:56:56 PDT 2008

Linda,

It’s good to hear from you.  However, I must respectfully disagree with you
on this one.  Economic times during 2007 looked much better than now.  In
addition, in view of the City’s very poor record on project development,
cost overruns, etc., the City should save taxpayer money and let others do
the economic development.  The City of Moscow does not understand that “Time
is Money.”  There is not the efficiency that is found in the private sector
and I doubt hiring an economic development director will do anything to
improve that.  Another great example of ‘inefficiency’ is the process the
URA goes through to sell lots in Alturas Technology Park.  It is no wonder
that they can’t even sell the lots at less than undeveloped prices because
no business wants to go through the convoluted process.  The URA should
definitely NOT buy land for resale with your taxpayer dollars.  An economic
development director is not going to fix this.

Pullman and Lewiston do not have economic development directors.  One might
work in Eugene Oregon, but Eugene has a population of 155,000, seven times
larger than Moscow.  If you subtract the number of students out of each
city, Eugene is 11 times larger than Moscow.  An $86,000 economic
development position in Eugene will not have nearly the impact on their city
budget as it will on Moscow’s budget.

I was mostly concerned about the URA Budget this year.  However, the more I
look into it, the more concerns I have about the general Moscow City Budget
too.  For example, the Lewiston City Budget is less than Moscow’s.  Lewiston
has a population of 31,794 compared to Moscow’s of 23,233.  Lewiston’s 2009
proposed budget is $52,656,080 compared to Moscow’s $55,500,000.  Moscow’s
proposed budget is $2,843,920 more than Lewiston’s, even though Lewiston has
8,571 more people.  If you subtract students, Lewiston has 15,600 more
people.  Lewiston’s City area is 10 square miles larger than Moscow’s (16.5
sq. miles versus 6.15 sq. miles).  Why is Moscow’s budget more than
Lewiston’s?  In addition, Lewiston is proposing to reduce their budget by
$735,140 this year.  Moscow should do the same.

Moscow could take lessons from Lewiston regarding easy to understand City
government.  Check out their Citizen’s Guide to the City Budget:

http://www.cityoflewiston.org/budget0607/budget0607.htm

Now try to find the proposed Moscow City Budget online.

This is not the time to increase City government at taxpayer expense.
Instead of up-staffing, increasing administration expense and asking for the
maximum amount of taxes allowed by law, perhaps the Mayor and City Council
should look at reducing the budget and focus on being efficient.  This is
not the time to be Empire Building.

B. J. Swanson