[Vision2020] City Budget Hearings

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Sat Aug 2 14:12:52 PDT 2008

Dear BJ and Visionaries,

BJ, I respect your opinion and your service to the City over many years in the area of economic development. Without your support on the State Department of Commerce Community Development Committee, we would not have gained the needed funds for projects at the 1912 Center, among others.

However, I must disagree with your recommendation concerning the Fiscal Year 2009 budget and encourage Visionaries to SUPPORT the addition of a CIty of Moscow Economic Development Director.

Here is part of a Budget Session Memorandum, dated July 16, 2007, that I distributed to the Mayor and Council last summer. The services of an in-house economic development coordinator,  shared by the URA, make even more sense now. Note that this addresses a big problem with the way economic development is managed by the governmental partner: lack of coordination and consistent follow-through. This is part of recognizing the defined roles of the Chamber, LEDA and regional project-oriented organizations like CEDA and retaining appropriate financial support for those groups. These groups do not address the need for public/private partnerships throughout the City over the long haul to coordinate a long-term, consistent community vision for economic development. This vision must incorporate policies that increase local wealth, building on what we have first and reaching out to capital intensive development that enhances job creation.

The Chamber's role is primarily marketing of the existing business community. LEDC is county-wide and regional, with the very important focus of the Knowledge Corridor in cooperation with UI, WSU and Pullman. The City of Moscow has no coordination for downtown development and revitalization, commercial development on the edges of the CIty, business development incentives, and a sense of how to follow through with the goals of economic development identified in our comprehensive plan revision. Many other communitites have successfully employed talented people in positions like this to make sure the community maintains a hold on its future direction. They have paid for themselves many times over.

"Goal for an In-House Economic Development Director.

The goal of such a director is the development of new jobs for Moscow, to enhance the existing business community and expand and improve business opportunities throughout the City.

There is constant pressure in and out of Moscow for growth and development. It is clear that if the City does not take a strong, positive stand for 'right-sized growth' that we will not be able to shape our future. We need more and better jobs, in the private sector as well as in higher education. We have a wonderful opportunity to coordinate with LEDC and CEDA to assist at a regional level. However, if we do not have local in-house follow through, we are not working intentionally to create the kind of economic future we want and need for our citizens.

The models exist in many other communities across the northwest, with excellent results for those communities. Eugene, Oregon, another university community, has benefited greatly from having such in-house expertise over the years and is a model to review as we determine the proper job description here.

Now is the time to begin this process because of the Urban Renewal Agency efforts adjacent to downtown Moscow and because of the impact this area can have on the university and the community at large. A partnership with the URA is an obvious choice because our city supervisor's time and talents are already stretched to their limits."

    from Memorandum to City Council, July 16, 2007 by Linda Pall, City Council Member through January, 2008.

Please support the inclusion of this position in BOTH the city economic development director in the city budget and the URA staff proposal. Providing an Advisory Committee to work with the Director, composed of representatives from LEDC, CEDA, the Chamber, and other stake holders to help the City Council develop policy for economic expansion could answer many of the concerns we citizens have about Council decisions concerning economic development such as the one to advance the competition to Moscow businesses by provision of water across the stateline.

All the best,

Linda Pall

Former Moscow City Council Member