[Vision2020] Safe Lefty's

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 13:50:21 PDT 2008

Joe,

  Good Question. Yes, there is a difference between the two.

  When I go to get fuel, I am angry at the prices being so high and abusive. However, I don't take it out on the locally owned retailer, I take it out on those the fix the prices and those that are suppose to regulate the oil industry. The retailer doesn't set the prices, they charge what it costs them to purchase fuel. If they lowered the price to what I considered a fair price, they would go out of business.

  I recognize the difference, and understand those fault it is.

  Your response to the retailer Wal-mart, is like that of the guy who yells at the retailer who directly sold you the fuel. I don't approve of it, but my anger is directed at those responsible. Yours is not.

  Every retailer purchases from the same suppliers. Wal-Mart simply does so in great quantity and is better at getting a better deal with suppliers. I blame the US Government for allowing trade with nations that do not enforce minimum human rights and environmental standards. It should not be the retailers responsibility to endure the costs of investigating every possible supplier to ensure all ethical and environmental standards are followed. In addition, their competitors would purchase the products from these suppliers that don't follow the same ethical and environmental standards and put them out of business very quickly.

  If Wal-Mart was shut down tomorrow, the exploitation of workers by foreign suppliers would not change, the suppliers would simply sell more product to Wal-Mart's competitors because the demand and dollars would still be there.

  The only way to stop abuse, low wages, and the downward decline of the value of the individual workers, is to enforce one standard of ethical treatment of all workers and the environment amongst all US importers, and enforce it.

  What I don't understand, is why you are OK with the exploitation of the US workers by allowing illegal workers into the country, but are against US companies that buy from suppliers that exploit foreign workers?

  I think that if someone comes the US and does the same work as a US workers, they should get the same wage. Any company that exploits foreign laborers should be shut down. And company getting illegal labor, and unfairly taking business from legal operating businesses should also be shut down.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Joe Campbell <joekc at adelphia.net> wrote:
  Donovan,

How is your opposition to PEM any different from my opposition to Walmart?

Sorry but I have to ask!

--
Joe Campbell

---- Donovan Arnold wrote:

=============
Yeap,

Lefty's is unable to pay the new rental rate of 3x what it was last month, so it is unable to continue to stay, just like the Army recruiting station, the Market Place, Hobbies, and and most of the other "non huge chain stores" in the Palouse Empire Mall.

My suggestion to all of Latah County is not to shop at the PEM because it is anti Moscow. I suggest you buy from local businesses and Wal-Mart.

PEM won't even allow the bus to stop there anymore. There is nothing PEM is interested in other than making as much money as they can.

This is a major reason I support the Hawkins Mall, because it will give a place for local businesses to go and provide competition to the PEM.

Best Regards,

Donovan

Angie Doe wrote:
Thanks for the info. I sent this email so that people were aware that there was an event going on not to offer a truth as to why they are closing. I am not aware of any FACTS one way or the other. In fact I am not sure that I have ever eaten there. News of them closing, however, has made me crave a Milkshake and I hear there's are the best.

Angie

P.S. You can just address me as Angie or Angela as that is the what my parents call me. Thanks

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Sunil Ramalingam wrote:
'Also, there are still locally owned businesses in the mall that are doing quite well and are under no pressure whatsoever to relocate.'

Maybe the mall will get to them next.

Sunil

> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:14:47 -0700
> From: tex at govandals.com
> To: vision2020 at moscow.com
> Subject: [Vision2020] Safe Lefty's

> Hello "Angie Doe",
>
> While I am a proponent of the idea of supporting local, quality businesses, the rumor I have heard is that Lefty's is quite behind on their rent. Maybe that would explain the mall's motivation.
>
> The mall is owned by a corporation out of Spokane, to answer another question posted here. Also, there are still locally owned businesses in the mall that are doing quite well and are under no pressure whatsoever to relocate.
>
> -Tex

> List services made available by First Step Internet,
> http://www.fsr.net
> mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com