[Vision2020] Health care

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 21 20:33:45 PDT 2008

Actually, Donovan, I think you are mistaken.  While this article is a couple
of years old, the stat breakdown still hold according to the ABI:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6895896/

Note:

"Costly illnesses trigger about half of all personal bankruptcies, and most
of those who go bankrupt because of medical problems have health insurance,
according to findings from a Harvard University study to be released
Wednesday. . . Most of those seeking court protection from creditors had
health insurance, with more than three-quarters reporting they had coverage
at the start of the illness that triggered bankruptcy. . . Out-of-pocket
medical expenses covering co-payments, deductibles and uncovered health
services averaged $13,460 for bankruptcy filers who had private insurance at
the onset of illness, compared with $10,893 for those without coverage.
Those who initially had private coverage but lost it during their illness
faced the highest cost, an average of $18,005. . . The findings indicate
medical-related bankruptcies hit middle-class families hard - 56 percent of
the filers owned a home, and the same number had attended college.
"Families with coverage faced unaffordable co-payments, deductibles and
bills for uncovered items like physical therapy, psychiatric care and
prescription drugs," Himmelstein said.""

The state of health care in this country is a national disgrace, but it
really gets tiresome, Donovan, for you to continually fail to recognize that
the middle-class is being hit very hard, harder than the poor by all factual
reports, with respect to bankruptcy due to medical expenses.

Furthermore, those parents forced into relinquishing parental rights to
ensure that their children have access to appropriate medical care for
chronic conditions are overwhelmingly middle-class families with health
insurance.  This particular horror is something the poor are actually
spared.

Another instance is the cost of medications.  For those without health
insurance, there are many patient assistance programs available.  I know two
people taking identical medications:  one gets the medications free through
patient assistance programs, and the other with health insurance will pay in
excess of $300 per month after meeting a $1500 deductible.  Their annual
incomes are about $1100 apart.

If you have more current factual information, I'm all ears (or eyes, as the
case may be).

You are, however, correct, IMHO, that the greed possible in an unfettered
free market is responsible for our US unconscionable health care costs.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****