[Vision2020] condemning rape

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 20 16:22:26 PDT 2008

I agree with you 100%,keely.

Further more, and something that His Comb-Overness failed to gather from
the article on his blog on what must obviously be a slow-news day (even
for Blight-Mind), the court (that convened and sentenced the offender to
pay $250 in compensation) took place in Yemen.  Even I, with my degree
from one of them gubmint skools, know that Yemen is outside the Nifty
Fifty (USA), and therefor not subject to our laws.

The Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (FLDS) compound is conveniently
located well within the jursdiction of of one of our state courts, and is
therefor bound to that jurisdiction's laws, much similar to
another "church" management here in Moscow (oops, bad example).  You
following me, dale?

Now, if Warren Jeffs wishes to relocate his FLDS "church" and its
followers to Yemen, upon completion of the multitude of trials and
potential subsequent punishments, I would have no problem with it.

One other thing, little guy . . .  The FLDS compund is NOT part of the
Mormon church (the FLDS under Warren Jeffs separated from the Mormon
churcha a long time ago), as you so knowlingly claim in your rag, another
fact that I, as a public-school educated Intolerista, ascertained from TV
news and local newspapers, just to reflect on a couple more sources you
might consider before posting any more of your unwanted opinion to that
flea-ridden rag you call a blog.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

> Visionaires,
>
> The Everlasting Blogstalker, Dale Courtney, laments today on his
Right-Mind>  blog that Moscow's liberals are quick to jump on the
bandwagon of
disappro> val of the recent revelations that young girls in the FLDS
polygamist cult
> in West Texas are routinely forced into sexual relationships with older
men>  who believe that these polygamous "celestial marriages" are
essential to
t> he practice of their faith, while remaining silent about things like
young
> girls being forced to "marry" older men in some Muslim cultures.  Dale
beli> eves that the shameful tolerance his liberal foes exhibit toward the
behavi> or of some Muslims is hypocritical in light of their disgust over
offshoot-> Mormon group practices, and he, like a good "Christian"
libertarian man of
> chest, must make note of it.  It seems that we liberals just can't muster
a> ny disapproval of Islam, so busy are we, I suppose, hating groups that
call>  themselves Christian.

> Certainly Dale's worldview is energized by the thought that he and his
pals>  are witnesses to the persecution of the Church from their vantage
point
of>  those suffering under it.  It's a silly assertion, of course, as is
his
sm> ug denouncement of feminized, morally bankrupt liberals who pick and
choose>  their objects of outrage from a tortured position of ethical
spinelessness> ..  I am a liberal; I know of no one, liberal or
conservative, who isn't
dis> gusted by the reality of adult men who engage in sex with children.
I'm
no> t aware of anyone who thinks that religion excuses the horrors that men
vis> it upon their victims, whether that religion is a perversion of
Christianit> y or a perversion of Islam.  Because most of the people I
know are
rational> , decent people, they are angered by child rape and outraged
that it can
be> , and is, committed as a sort of religious expression.  Atheists and
the
re> ligious are united in believing that no God would be honored by
inflicting
> horror on the little ones he created.
>
> I don't know if Muhammed had a sexual relationship with a nine-year-old
gir> l, as Dale asserts, just as I don't know if Joseph Smith slept with
underag> e girls.  My not being Muslim or Mormon, or part of any group
that claims
t> o be the "true expression" of either, has nothing to do with the sexual
sin>  of the men each faith reveres as prophets.  I am much more concerned
about>  my own faith and the men who claim it, and who, as Christians,
perpetuate
> patriarchy, hierarchy, power, manipulation and sexism in their homes,
churc> hes, and relationships.   If, for example, there were a Christian
church
in>  town that had witnessed one or two specific instances of their men
preying>  on young children or teenage girls, I would expect that that
church would
> reflect on any connection between the rape committed by their young
student> s of patriarchy and power, sexism and sexuality, and the
practices and
teac> hing that the predators received from their teachers.  I would
expect that
> that church would publicly repent of any gender-based arrogance,
hierarchy,>  or wielding of power it had exhibited.  I would hope that its
leaders
woul> d examine a theology that has as its origin the reality of a post-
Fall
seiz> ing of ungodly power and descent into violence, rather than the
redemptive,>  radical justice and equality ushered in by the Savior they
claim to
worshi> p.  I would pray that such a church would see that its elevation
of male
po> wer and privilege, its defense of patriarchy, its practice of gender
hierar> chy and unilateral submission, and its defensive clinging to the
ways of
th> e world and not the fruit of the Spirit are sinful, reflecting the
depotism>  of evil and not the gentleness of Christlike love.  I would
expect that.

> I would be disappointed.
>
> And so I will lead the charge, if that is indeed  what Dale's asking for,
b> y announcing that this middle-aged, progressive, evangelical homemaker,
and>  everyone she knows, thinks men who sleep with girls are evil.
There.
Now>  that the totality of liberal condemnation of rape and pedophilia has
been
> thusly offered to this erstwhile elder, let's see if he and his other
patri> archal heads of household pause and examine if the perpetuation of
sexual
v> iolence on the weak in the name of religion has more to do with bad
theolog> y, teaching, and practice than with the perceived indifference of
Moscow's
> liberals.  It could be the start of an incredible spiritual renewal,
revolu> tionary in scope and profound in effect.  Or, Dale could just
write this
of> f as the emotional blather of someone who just doesn't know her place,
po> sition that is probably a lot easier to undertake while enjoying the
Sabbat> h with other puny patriarchs.

> I guess we'll see . . .
>
> Keely

> Get in touch in an instant. Get Windows Live Messenger now.
> http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?
ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refr> esh_getintouch_042008>

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)