[Vision2020] Intergovermental Agreement Needed for City to Sell Water to Hawkins

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Apr 8 15:19:47 PDT 2008

"The Moscow City Council and Whitman County commissioners will discuss and
vote on any agreement publicly. Riedner said Hawkins officials also will
review the agreement."

Question for the Moscow City Council:  Can the people of Moscow (those
people you swore to support) expect public disclosure of thse meetings?
Or will the people of Moscow be subjected to another rendition of
Councilor Krauss' "Hey, I've got a day job.  I don't have time for such
stuff.  Besides, they scare me."?

>From today's (April 8, 2008) Moscow-Pullman Daily News -

IDWR: Intergovermental agreement needed for city to sell water to Hawkins

By Tara Roberts, Daily News staff writer

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 - Page Updated at 12:00:00 AM

Moscow and Whitman County will have to enter into an intergovernmental
agreement if the city wants to provide water to the Hawkins Companies
development.

Moscow City Supervisor Gary Riedner said Idaho Department of Water
Resources officials told Moscow leaders last week that such an agreement
will be required for the city to move forward with its application to
modify Moscow's water service area to serve the Hawkins retail development
just across the state line.

The city agreed to make "prompt application" to IDWR in a settlement with
Hawkins, reached during closed-door mediation in February.

The process to create the intergovernmental agreement is just beginning,
Riedner said. Moscow and Whitman County leaders have not been able to find
a suitable date for an initial meeting.

Whitman County Public Works Director Mark Storey said he expects a meeting
to occur within the next few weeks. It will then take a month or two for
Moscow City Attorney Randy Fife, Whitman County Prosecutor Denis Tracy and
other city and county officials to work out the agreement.

"I think the basic agreement's kind of simple," Storey said. "They agree
to sell us water and we agree to pay for it, then we pass it on to
Hawkins."

Riedner said intergovernmental agreements are fairly commonplace. The city
and county already have mutual aid agreements for police and fire services
in emergencies, for example.

IDWR Public Information Officer Bob McLaughlin said a 2005 letter to Fife
from Deputy Idaho Attorney General Steve Strack explains the need for the
intergovernmental agreement.

Strack wrote Idaho cities are authorized to enter joint service
agreements "where it is more practical to construct and maintain a unified
water or sewage system than for each city to provide separately such
services to their respective residents." The municipalities' water rights
would be amended to include the joint service area.

Strack wrote that similar agreements across state lines are potentially
available under a section of Idaho Code that authorizes Idaho public
agencies to "enter into cooperative agreements" with out-of-state public
entities. Any agreement to extend services across state lines "would have
to be carefully crafted to address issues such as authority to levy and
collect taxes and fees."

The letter includes other rules and regulations regarding out-of-state
water use and delivering water across state lines.

McLaughlin said he could not comment on the Hawkins situation aside from
referring to the Strack letter, which was written in response to a
separate inquiry from Fife.

Riedner said at Monday's City Council meeting that the city will see if it
can send a letter to IDWR stating the city and county are pursuing the
agreement, and move forward with the application while the agreement is
being finalized.

The Moscow City Council and Whitman County commissioners will discuss and
vote on any agreement publicly. Riedner said Hawkins officials also will
review the agreement.

Moscow Mayor Nancy Chaney said the city will make an effort to move
expediently on the agreement, as stated in the settlement with Hawkins,
but it may not be easy.

"I think it'll be time-consuming," she said.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)