[Vision2020] Selling Our Children Short

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Apr 8 15:03:48 PDT 2008

This was contributed by a caring friend who considers public schools as a
much needed resource for our future and not a liability to our
present . . .

>From Western Progress at:

http://tinyurl.com/58g73p

-----------------------

Selling Our Children Short

Census Bureau Release: Public Schools Spent $9,138 Per Student in 2006
http://tinyurl.com/2yg633

Census Bureau’s 2006 Public Elementary-Secondary Education Finance Data
http://www.census.gov/govs/www/school06.html

On April 2, the U.S. Census Bureau issued a new report on elementary and
secondary education spending across the country. Much of the West ought to
be ashamed.

The three worst states in the U.S. when it came to per pupil spending in
the 2005-6 school year are all in our region: Utah ($5,437), Idaho
($6,440), and Arizona ($6,472). Nevada, at $7,345, ranked as the sixth
worst. Three other Rocky Mountain States fell below the national average
of $9,138: Colorado, New Mexico, and Montana.

Wyoming was the sole western bright spot. With per pupil spending of
$11,197, it ranks as 10th best in the U.S.

With many states facing budget crunches, it's unlikely that things will
get better any time soon. One example: the Idaho legislature adjourned on
Wednesday after failing to approve a $60 million teacher merit pay plan by
state schools Superintendent Tom Luna.

In Arizona, rather than attacking the problem, some legislators are
attacking the messengers. They want to set up a state committee to
evaluate rankings. According to the East Valley Tribune, state Sen. John
Huppenthal's bill would set up a committee "to compile rankings of states
by education quality and residents' wages and evaluate them to determine
where Arizona truly stands." Sen. Huppenthal might be interested to know
that the Census report cited above already does rank based on personal
income. Under that view, Arizona is only 6th worst in the U.S. rather than
3rd worst.

All of our states have pressing spending needs, and the end of the real
estate boom and the crisis in credit markets make it more difficult to
justify budget increases of any kind. But it's hard to think of a higher
priority that public education.

Maybe Utah, Idaho and Arizona should set a modest goal for next year:
spending more per pupil than Mississippi.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom "Public School Educated" Hansen