[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for April 4, 2008

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 4 05:45:07 PDT 2008

Below is the UI Friday Letter for April 4, 2008.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
April 4, 2008

Dear Friends,

The arrival of April signals that the academic year is rapidly coming to
an end. In just a little more than three weeks, we'll hold our first
statewide commencement ceremony, on April 30 in Boise. That will be
followed by ceremonies in Idaho Falls on May 1, Coeur d'Alene on May 5 and
in Moscow on May 10. This has been a busy, rewarding semester and there is
a lot of news to share with you about recent accomplishments of our
students.

* Joshua Pohlman, a double-major in biochemistry and ecology and
conservation biology from Grand Forks, North Dakota, and Bryan Wilson, a
mathematics major from Boise, have been awarded prestigious, national
Barry Goldwater Scholarships. The scholarships pay up to $7,500 per year
to students who plan a career in mathematics, natural sciences or
engineering. University of Idaho students have won 12 Goldwater
Scholarships over the past eight years.

* Our National Institute for Advanced Transportation Technology Clean
Snowmobile Team took second place in the internal combustion engine class
at the Clean Snowmobile Challenge, held at Michigan Technological
University. The team earned awards for best acceleration and quietest
snowmobile. The team's design also won the Cold Start Award, as well as
Best Internal Combustion Design Paper and Best Oral Presentation.

* A video by the University of Idaho chapter of the American Institute of
Architecture Students has won the National Architecture 2030 Reverberate
Video competition. The 60-second video, which earned a $4,000 prize, shows
students building an igloo on campus to spread the word about global
warming. You can view the video at:

www.architecture2030.org/faceit/reverberate.php

* Our women's snowboard team defended its national championship title from
last year and won the combined team title at the U.S. Collegiate Ski and
Snowboard Association National Championships in Bethel, Maine. They also
won the team combined titles in slope style and giant slalom. The men's
team finished eighth out of 18 teams, and senior Brandon Hammer, a
freestyle skier, took home the individual combined national championship
for freestyle skiing. He finished second in both slope style and skier
cross.

Join me in congratulating our students on their achievements. These
students exemplify the talent and quality of the people we attract here,
and their accomplishments demonstrate the distinctive student life
experience we offer at the University of Idaho.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

After Amy Nivette walks across the stage at the Moscow commencement in
May, she'll keep walking and eventually board a plane to England. With a
bachelor's degree in justice studies firmly in hand, the Coeur d'Alene
native plans to pursue a master's degree in criminology at Cambridge
University. A semester abroad in England cemented her desire to pursue
graduate studies abroad, and Idaho faculty members from Kenya, France and
China encouraged her global interests. Nivette credits Melanie-Angela
Neuilly, assistant professor of justice studies, with supporting her
desire to pursue international justice studies. Professor and student
researched crime in rural Idaho compared with crime in Japan, and plan to
submit a paper on the topic at the November 2008 American Society of
Criminology meeting. The pair also has collaborated on research into gangs
in Idaho, a project funded by the Idaho Criminal Justice Commission.

Kristin Harwood, a graduate student in recreation, has created a wellness
program for school personnel at West Park Elementary School in Moscow. The
program offers school staff the opportunity to participate in spinning and
gravity classes taught by Harwood at the University's Student Recreation
Center. One of the College of Education's pre-service teachers also will
teach a free yoga class at the school to provide more opportunities for
participants to get or stay fit. "You see wellness programs in
corporations, but rarely in the schools," said Harwood, who comes from
Hayden Lake. Following her graduation this May, Harwood hopes to stay in
the field of corporate wellness. Her program aligns with the College of
Education's initiative to promote active healthy lifestyles in communities.

Retired Judge Kathryn Mautz '52, originally a small-town girl from
Wallace, enrolled in the University of Idaho College of Law in 1950. Mautz
credits her education and experiences at the college for giving her both
the confidence and credentials to keep pushing forward despite the
obstacles she faced as a female attorney beginning her career in the
1950s. "I've been able to enjoy a successful career and rewarding life
because of the education and encouragement I received at the University of
Idaho," says Mautz, who was one of only three women in her 1952 graduating
class. This gratitude recently led Mautz to make a $25,000 gift to the
College of Law. Created in memory of her parents, the Anton F., Katherine
and Kathryn Ann Mautz Endowment will fund scholarships for future
University of Idaho law students. For information on giving to the College
of Law, contact Michele Bartlett at (208) 364-4078 or bartlett at uidaho.edu.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3