[Vision2020] Senator Larry Craig Challenges Guilty Plea

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 06:00:49 PDT 2007

Ted,

You ask a lot of good questions here, and make some good points.  But I must
take issue with this statement.

'And even if not, there is no doubt that law enforcement will sometimes
slant their accounts dealing with suspects placed under arrest to ensure the
arrest appears as justified as possible, even if they have no "bias" against
the accused.'

In my view, the police are trained to ALWAYS do this in their reports, not
just 'sometimes.'  It is exceedingly rare to find something in the written
report that is helpful for one's client.  If there's a recording, you can
dig it out.  Without a recording...

With regard to the rest of your email, the problem for Craig is how he goes
about using possible defenses you raise; his innocence is only part of the
equation, with his political career being the balance.  How can he go about
claiming he recognized signals from the officer when he has claimed so long
and so hard that he is not gay and does not participate in restroom sex?
For another defendant, that might work, but I don't think it will for this
one.

Sunil