[Vision2020] Incumbent City Council Members Stacking theElection

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Sep 25 05:35:16 PDT 2007

Arnold stated:

"The majority of council members informed her they have reached a consensus
that they would make not approve any appointment until after the last day to
file as a candidate and be placed on the ballot . . . A vote was not taken,
that was the problem. The City Council should have appointed a person to
fill the vacancy ASAP"

Question #1, Arnold:  How could a majority or consensus (your words) have
been reached without a vote among the city council members?

Question #2, Arnold:  Just where is it written that the mayor (or city
council) is required to fill a vacancy immediately?

If I remember correctly (from an audio recording of a city council session I
have on file), the council land staff discussed whether or not the mayor is
required to appoint a replacement, whether or not a special election should
be conducted, or whether or not the mayor may retain an empty seat on the
council until the next scheduled election.

What has transpired concerning both vacancies is well within city policy
(pronounced "code") and staff guidelines.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)

  _____