[Vision2020] Kerry speech/student tasered

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 15:49:38 PDT 2007

I can agree with you that he shouldn't have been interrupted, that this
was the perfect venue for him to air his views, and that they shut him
down too soon.  There is also the issue of whether the people hosting a
political forum can enforce forum rules, and in exactly what way, but it
seems clear that they overreacted here by stepping in and moving him
toward the exit.

I don't think the tasering is that big of a deal, myself.  As soon as
the decision was made to escort him out of the building, then it's just
a bunch of cops doing their jobs.  Fighting them, struggling against
them, trying to entice the crowd to help, going limp, or doing anything
else that hinders them from performing their job duties in that
situation will result in unpleasantness.

I also don't feel a lot of personal pity for this guy.  He, in my
opinion, wanted to make a scene.  He could easily have asked his
question politely, calmly, and respectfully and I'm guessing that he
would not have been hassled.  Or rather, someone else could have, I
guess, because I think he had worn out his welcome at similar events and
was thus shut down even faster.  Since this guy is a journalism major,
any pity I might have had for someone who was simply passionate about
his ideas that I might have granted him is no more.

I guess one good question might be: did they shut him down for the
remarks he was making, or did they shut him down because he was making a
scene?

I don't go for the idea that the First Ammendment trumps all in this
type of situation.  Somebody is hosting the forum, there are forum rules
to follow.  In effect, someone owns the damn microphone and can shut it
off whenever they wish.

Paul