[Vision2020] principals of Developers of the Palouse LLC

B. J. Swanson bjswan at moscow.com
Sat Sep 15 09:34:49 PDT 2007

Not all taxes are the same.  State and federal taxes do very little to
support City services; property taxes do.  Sales taxes in Idaho mostly
benefit the State, not the City.  Sales taxes in Washington mostly benefit
local cities and counties.   Retail and housing don't provide great economic
benefit to the community; good paying jobs do.  The best economic model is
that a community will encourage high paying jobs and housing and retail will
follow as the need arises.  Moscow has been backwards on this for a number
of years.  Now it seems very painful to some that the housing market is in
the dumps and there may not be a verifiable need for more retail.  There is
certainly a need for good paying jobs.   The City has been very
accommodating and encouraging in expanding Alturas Park, assisting expansion
of Gritman, providing new fiber optic loops throughout town, etc.  These
projects provide great economic payback to the community.  Can more be done?
Certainly.  I believe the focus has shifted from projects that benefit just
a few to projects that benefit the whole community.

B. J. Swanson