[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for September 14, 2007

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 14 05:35:37 PDT 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for September 14, 2007 -

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends September 14, 2007

Dear Friends,

A dynamic, diverse and accomplished group of scientists, politicians,
researchers, business leaders and academics will gather on the University of
Idaho's Moscow campus October 1-2, and I invite you to join us. We meet to
discuss how all sectors of society can work together to find solutions to
climate problems stemming from greenhouse gas emissions and other causes of
climate change.

I am pleased to host this inaugural President's Sustainability Symposium -
"Carbon, Climate and Our Environment: Partnerships for Success" - that will
delve into how we can achieve a sustainable future, starting with research
and technologies available now.

Reducing carbon in the atmosphere will not be easy or inexpensive, but it is
necessary. Everyone needs to better understand the forces that are at play
so that, as a global society, we can craft efficient and feasible solutions
to this problem. It will take a cooperative effort among all sectors to
identify an economical, responsible and effective response to the factors
contributing to climate change. Considering the strength of the faculty and
priorities of the University of Idaho along with the needs of Idaho, our
campus is an ideal site to discuss, learn and identify solutions for
tomorrow.

Featured presenters include:

* Governor C.L. "Butch" Otter: "The State of Idaho and Solutions to Green
House Gas Emissions";

* Michael C. MacCracken, chief scientist for climate change programs,
Climate Institute: "The Science of Carbon, Greenhouse Gases and Climate
Change"; and

* Richard Sandor, chairman and chief executive officer, Chicago Climate
Exchange: "Private Sector Perspective and Market Strategies."

Panelists include:

* Peter McGrail, laboratory fellow, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory;

* J.W. Rogers Jr., associate laboratory director, Idaho National Laboratory
and Steven Aumeier, director, Energy Systems and Technologies Division,
Idaho National Laboratory;

* Ralph Cavanagh, director, Energy Program, Natural Resources Defense
Council;

* John R. 'Ric' Gale, vice president of regulatory affairs, Idaho Power; and

* Anthony Cortese, president, Second Nature and co-director, American
College and University Presidents Climate Commitment.

The event on Monday, October 1, from 8 a.m.-5:15 p.m. in the Student Union
Ballroom, is free and open to the public. The sessions on Tuesday, October 2
are designed for the university community to focus on enhancing our already
significant commitment to sustainability. Please visit
www.uidaho.edu/sustainability for Symposium details.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Student groups from the College of Art and Architecture will exhibit their
creations tonight in a wearable art competition. The students were provided
with a palette of supplies, such as plastic grocery bags, trash bags and
other items that normally would be thrown away and challenged to recycle the
items and other "trash" into clothing. The public presentation begins at
7:30 p.m. at the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre. Films from the Student
Short Film Competition based on "unleashing the power of design," also will
be shown. The event caps the college's three-day celebration of design and
the impact of sustainable design on a global society.

Thomas '59 and Teita Reveley have once again proven their commitment to the
University of Idaho. Building on past pledges to the Department of Forest
Products, Idaho Athletics and scholarship programs, the Reveleys have
renewed their support by contributing to the College of Natural Resources'
strategic campaign to renovate and rebuild the college's core laboratories.
Their latest gift supports the construction of the Thomas and Teita Reveley
Geospatial Education and Research Complex, a dynamic, global center for the
study of earth system science education and research that specializes in
geographic information systems, remote sensing and global positioning
systems tools. "Teita and I have always been interested in the global
ecosystem and even more so today as we experience first hand changing
climatic conditions, indiscriminate development of the world's resources and
its impact on our air, water and forests," says Tom. "We looked at a number
of investment options and decided that supporting the University of Idaho
College of Natural Resources would have the strongest and most balanced
impact in dealing with the many ecological issues we are facing today." For
more information on supporting the College of Natural Resources' strategic
campaign, contact Jane Urbaska at (208) 885-7400, jlurbaska at uidaho.edu.

Merit Award - The new Sprinturf sports activity field at the east end of the
ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center has received a merit award from the
Idaho-Montana Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects. The
new artificial turf contains rubber granule in-fill made from recycled
rubber tires. The artificial turf doesn't need watering or weeding, and
saves about $50,000 annually in maintenance costs. The landscape architect
for the project was hatchmueller from Coeur d'Alene. The award is the ninth
architectural and engineering design award for University projects since
2000, including design awards for the Student Recreation Center, the J.A.
Albertson Building, the Idaho Commons, the Facilities Services Building and
the Idaho Water Center in Boise.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

UI '96

>From the north came a tribe brave and bold . . .