[Vision2020] Vision 2020 Post Inaccurate

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue Sep 11 23:13:44 PDT 2007

Hello there,

The person who circulated the memo on Vision 2020 that there was a petition
at Tri State for those to sign who wanted the "reconciliation, mediation,
whatever" was none other than Don Harter.  The day he posted the item to
Vision  I went to Tri State to check it and found that Don had placed the
petition on the public bulletin board himself. At that point it had no
signatures.  I went back the next day and it still had no signatures.   I
left the note in the suggestion box for Gerard asking that he not circulate
the petition, but I also recognized it was a bulletin board for the public
to use and I knew that just because the petition was there it was not a
public statement of Tri State support.  Knowing Gerard and his very solid
support for schools and all sorts of community endeavors I believed he did
not support the petition or the move by Gerry Weitz and Jim Demeerleer.
Additionally, I also recognized a bulletin board put in a place of business
for the people who frequent that business will often display items which the
owners do not necessarily support.

I am very grateful to Gerard and never on this site did I lump him in with
Weitz and his ilk.  He is just not that sort of person.  After I left the
message in the suggestion box I did not go back to the store to check on the
petition because I felt then, and still feel, that just because the petition
was there, is no implication of the amount of support it has from the owner.
But I also thought Gerard would take care of it, and he did.

I do hope this message serves as a clarification to all who might have
thought I was blaming Gerard for the petition.  I did not do that.  Don
Harter, himself, said he had taken a copy to Tri State for people to sign.
>From his statement one might have inferred Tri State support.  When I went
out to check, it had been posted to the bulletin board and as far as I could
tell there was no initial or other mark to indicate it had been approved by
the management.  I doubt they even knew it was there, hence my note which I
placed into the suggestion box.

Sue Hovey