[Vision2020] A couple of events at WSU Friday and Saturday

deb debismith at moscow.com
Thu Sep 6 22:45:28 PDT 2007

Thanks, Carl, for mentioning the YWCA of WSU. We have been addressing
political, racial, and women's issues since 1895. Mostly, folks know what we
do but don't know WE DO IT. We have been sponsoring racial justice programs
since the 1940's, gender equity issues since the 1920's, and economic
empowerment since the 1960's. Somehow, however, folks still think we are the
YMCA----they do swimming pools, we do social justice. Sadly most folks still
confuse us with one another (the Village People need their song slapped
down!!!). I guess it's because we are the Y  WOMEN  CA. We are not a
Christian group in this day and age, we are YOUNG, and we are pretty quiet
about our domestic violence prevention and intervention, our community
diversity programs, our homeless shelters, our students for choice programs,
and our national/international network. Women get the jobs done, but don't
often ask for recognition. It's nice when someone names us correctly.....
Debi R-S
Board Member
 YWCA of WSU    Eliminating Racism, Empowering Women