[Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth

baukunst at moscow.com baukunst at moscow.com
Wed Oct 31 22:09:25 PDT 2007

My wife & I left Moscow just over 2 years ago because of the business
climate, limited available opportunities, and looking for a change of
scenery.  I understand Moscow businesses to operate just fine if your
clientele are UI student, staff, or faculty; or are out of the area - there
is a very limited population to find a maket niche in otherwise.  To depend
upon the local pop. is too limiting for very many.  Others followed suit
and left the Palouse around the same time we did because of its
self-imposed limits.  It could be more, but...

Moscow development seems to limit itself to supplying current resident
needs.  It does not want to draw attention to itself and attract others to
the area.  In the 27 years I witnessed, it has done so because of a
"mentality" of "do the minimum to get by."  Its agrarian background is
strong and will subside, but it is still highly ingrained.  Frugality is
too progressive.  The Palouse is progressive in thought - actions say the
opposite.

Looking towards the future, Moscow will not want to change from its past.
It will not seek to build upon the UI resource(s) to attract more people
and attention.  High-tech jobs maytrickle in because of the quality of
life, but it is tightly controlled by the forces the above subject line
means to rebuke.  Why move there when other places are more well known?
What does it have to offer that CO, AZ, or OR & WA don't?  Most would
likely head to Boise first anyway, unless only the UI had it.

"Free market" forces bring Moscow's slow growth rate.  Christ Church
results from the free market and the willing buyers of belivers.  Condos
along the UI golf course will come when the 'boomer market demands.  "Free
market" forces will bring a pedestrian overpass at 3rd & TriState.
Building upon the available creative resources has as more common sense
than the no-brainer "attract high-tech."

I don't belive the "free market" is wise, nor do I trust it.  The "free
market" is part of a larger system and as such it is influenced by forces
beyond the local market.  What happens in Moscow, ID is not totally out of
control, but it is beyond local influence only.  The local political
election changes people, it does not change the system.

As long as there is gravity, water will seek equilibrium.  It might
overshoot past being sustainable, but it will find a usable level.
Development levels will follow water too.  Although development can be
retrofitted to fit consumption levels that should have been implemented
initially.

Anyway, I hope the UI condos are in-place in 5 years so I can move back and
retire in comfort; not having to be concerned about making a living in
Moscow, ID.  As long as there are students serving up lattes & bagles or
crumpets and tea, I should be just fine, then, cheerio.

Mark Seman, Architect