[Vision2020] Leadership

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 31 06:15:21 PDT 2007

Great post, Steffen!

Here is the relevant question: "How much oversight should the
community, represented by the city council, have over proposed
business development?"

My answer is, As much oversight as it takes to keep us from looking
and smelling like Lewiston. I have not heard any plan about ensuring this
from the GMA candidates, which is why I'm voting for Ament, Holmes,
Lamar, and Paul.

I think it is so funny that Jeff etc. keep talking about economics without
taking into account quality of life. That I have not heard anything about
quality of life from the GMA candidates worries me because that is what
distinguishes us from the other surrounding communities. As far as I can
tell that is a tremendous advantage that the GMA wants to give away.

The fact is there are a lot more folks who live in Moscow and commute to
Pullman than vice versa. These folks -- myself included -- are loosing
money since we have to pay Idaho taxes whereas were we to locate to
Pullman we wouldn't have to pay any state taxes at all. Why? Quality of life.

For that matter, people could live in Lewiston and pay a fraction for a house
and commute to work each day. Again, I know of several people who live
in Moscow and commute to Lewiston but not any who do the opposite. Why?
Quality of life. That is what Moscow has to offer that the other communities
don't. That is our advantage over the other communities, our quality of life.

As far as I can tell, the GMA candidates what to Give that and Moscow Away.

--
Joe Campbell