[Vision2020] Leadership

Steffen Werner swerner at uidaho.edu
Wed Oct 31 05:10:40 PDT 2007

I don't think that a discussion of basic economic theory is what will
move this discussion forward to a constructive and meaningful
exchange about local issues.  BJ unfortunately started her post with
a general statement that Jeff then responded to scholarly - but
unfortunately this focus is missing the main point that followed in
BJ's post.  I think all of the candidates running for office in this
local election (and probably most around this country) have no
objections to our basic economic principle of a free market economy.
The candidates also all share the same sense of duty when it comes to
making payroll (Tom has quite a few people working for him, none of
whom have filed complaints against him for not doing so - Linda the
same).  So - the real issue in this context is a rather small one
given the big issues raised (and probably not worthy of a Nobel, but
still relevant here in Moscow):  How much oversight should the
community, represented by the city council, have over proposed
business development?  Should this be relatively unfettered with very
lax oversight, or should it increase oversight if a development might
have a large impact on the community?  I think that this is a
reasonable discussion to have - and neither side of this discussion
is anti or any growth automatically just by preferring one over the
other.  Coming from a system (Germany) where there is a lot more
oversight and zoning restrictions than here, I find some of the
recently voiced positions quite baffling.  If probed I can give some
interesting examples in another post. So - why don't we focus on the
local issue at hand, instead of going off on a tangent (even though
that might make for better sound bites)
Steffen
--
Dr. Steffen Werner, Associate Professor
Dept. of Psychology and Communication Studies