[Vision2020] Leadership

jeanlivingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Wed Oct 31 00:23:15 PDT 2007

Jeff, that was a fair critique until the end, when you pulled the bait
and switch with the clever use of an ellipsis and quotation marks
around a fragment of a sentence taken entirely out of context.

It was fair of you to say that you were not advocating a totally free
market, in favor of  a relatively unfettered one.

But when you attempted to convert B.J.'s quote about your advocacy of
"an economic model that no longer worked" into an indictment of your
preferred economic model, the "relatively unfettered free market,"
well, that was an apples to oranges comparison.  Her free market
quote was in the next sentence, but even if that was the reference (a
post-cedent?) of her economic model that had failed, it was limited to
"totally free" markets, not your relatively unfettered free markets.
Where you stand on monopolies in your relatively unfettered market and
a host of other issues are questions for another day.

But more significantly, even that statement by BJ about "totally free
market" was not necessarily what she was referring to when she said in
the earlier lead sentence that the economic model advocated by you
and the GMA candidates "no longer worked."  Since that was the lead
in her post, it could refer to many things that you and the candidates
have said:  e.g., that more retail is needed to make Moscow grow and
mbe more business friendly, when BJ feels that is not the case, or as
BJ stated at the MCA forum on Economic Development for a Prosperous
Moscow, that "more retail and housing will not drive the economy."

It was a nice try to turn a banker into an opponent of the free
enterprise system, but I would wager lunch that in concluding that was
her position, you erred.

For the record, I don't believe that the free enterprise system is an
economic model that no longer works.  It has issues, now and again,
andmonopoly regulations deal with some of them some of the time.  But
if you are trying to set up a straw man and have anyone on the other
side of the community debate stuck with seeming to prefer a
hunter-gatherer economy, or the barter system, or communism, or
anything other than the free enterprise capitalism practiced here,
well, I don't think you will find any takers.  B.J. included.

Bruce Livingston