[Vision2020] What is Jeff talking about? (was something else)

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 30 13:13:49 PDT 2007

Thanks for the post, Matt.

I don't think that I've made anything up. If you could give a specific example,
I'd appreciate it. Nor do I think I insulted Jeff or anyone, other than Crabtree,
as much as you might think. Read the posts carefully – some of the points are
conditional, borrowing some of Jeff's own tricks, some of them are just more
explicit forms of what I perceived as similar insults directed toward me.

I have a nasty habit of treating people exactly how they treat me. If they are
nice to me, I'm nice to them; if they are rude to me, I'm rude to them; if they
insult me, I insult back. I won't make fun of Crabtree’s job, say, or call him
names over an extended period of time -- say more than a week -- so I have
my limits. Nonetheless, the strategy is unfortunate since often it plays into the
hands of a bully like Crabtree. He insults me, I insult back and my insult
shows up on Dale's website. And for whatever reason, conservatives can get
away with insults in a way that liberals cannot.

I'm glad that you think that people shouldn't say that the MCA is anti-growth
but the fact is that a LOT of GMA folks are saying it and extending it to apply
to MCA supported candidates. I see it everywhere. Jeff is just one example.
Even though I've pointed out the fallacy -- 'no' means 'not any' thus 'no
growth' is false; what is true is 'some but not all growth,' so 'any and all
growth', the laissez faire approach, is the extreme one. Yet Jeff still suggests
that MCA candidates are anti-growth. Even Area Man Dan has said as much in
response to questions about water issues, where he claimed that the current
council has used water as an excuse to prevent growth. I don't see why I
should let those attacks go unanswered. It would appear to put our side at a
disadvantage.

Jeff thinks I called him a liar. What I said was that he is spreading a lie, which
is a bit different. Still, it is false to say that MCA candidates are "no growth,"
as I point out above. To continue to say it, or to suggest it, while knowing that
it is false is spreading a lie. Maybe this offends Jeff but I am just telling it like
it is.

Also, you are mixing up two different things in your post. Am I a jackass to
Crabtree and to Jeff? Yes. Are they jackasses to me? Yes. On this score we're
equal. I treat folks like they treat me.

What I think is interesting is that you don't see Jeff's insults to me, or at least
you didn’t say anything about them. Just to use one example, he made a
standard reference to philosophies other than is own as being nothing more
than discussions of angels dancing on the heads of pins. This is a dismissive,
insulting response often directed at philosophers and other academics, in this
case intended to undermine my comments and intelligence with one full
swoop. Likely it is something that you would not note but, in the context of a
political debate, it is jackass politics at its best. He doesn't have to respond to
my questions, my concerns because I'm just talking about angels dancing on
the heads of pins! Isn't it lovely!

In a way I can understand how you might spot my being a jackass sooner
than Jeff's, since what I say to him might dig deep, might hurt you but what
he says to me you might not notice. It might even seem funny to you. I had
an exchange off list with Roger Falen where he told me that he thought that
Crabtree's posts to me were funny. Making fun of my name, my job, etc. was
funny to him. I understand why you might not notice how offensive Crabtree
and Jeff are to me. We are each a bit blind when it comes to insults directed
toward the other side.

If you had noticed that Jeff insulted me, you might have said something like
"Yeah, Jeff was a jackass to you but that doesn't mean you should be a
jackass to him, so stop." And, in fact, folks like Bruce Livingston have said
just that to me off list. Also, if you read Bruce's post to Jeff you'll note a not
so subtle jab at me suggesting agreeing with Jeff name-calling has no place
on V2020.

Herein lies the second issue that you conflate with the first. There have been
numerous occasions when progressives have criticized other progressives on
V2020. As I noted, there was a recent, subtle instance in which Bruce
criticized me -- which, as you point out, I deserved. A while ago, before I
came to hate him, I stuck up for Crabtree when people said that his business
should be boycotted and said that this is out of bounds. There are other
examples, too, and I've seen Sunil, Keeley, and others do the same.

But I have NEVER seen Jeff, Crabtree, or Donovan, or any conservative
openly criticized by another conservative in public. I have never even seen a
conservative criticize the rhetoric of Doug Wilson or Dale Courtney. It is as if
conservatives think that, when other conservatives are speaking, anything
goes.

Yesterday a man from NSA ran around town with a sign that read "VOTE FOR
BIGOTS" mentioning the names of the three candidates supported by the
MCA. Yesterday in the Daily News Shelly Bennett implied that the MCA council
has "persecuted a religious organization." (The timing of these two events is
interesting but I won't go there.) Thus far NO conservatives have said that
these actions are out of bounds. I'll bet none do after this post. I challenge
you and others to prove me wrong.

I believe that in politics your opponents make up the rules. Until I hear some
criticism of the above antics, it seems like I have a lot further to go before
I'm out of bounds.

Thus, in response to your question -- When will I stop being a jackass? -- the
answer might be: Next Wednesday.

Again, I really do appreciate the post! I think it is ironic that you sent it after I
already stopped posting to Jeff! I left some questions unanswered but,
honestly, it is hard for me to engage with folks who think that my job consists
of talking about angels dancing on the head of pins, so perhaps he'll forgive
me.

Best, Joe

---- Matt Decker <mattd2107 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Joe,

About a week ago you confronted me about G. Crabtree. How much of an ass he is and how I don't "pipe down on him". I told you I don't condemn his or your actions(name calling that is). Then I saw you do it to me in private. Oh well, hey I have thicker skin. Now you, again are doing it to Jeff. I have closely watched this whole thing unfold and again it is you my friend, with the nasty tones. When will your little pompous antics end?

If you want to attack me again, well go for it. Let me spare you though.
Last week, I had mentioned that I had a client who had a 10K yard and I mentioned that he was a customer of mine. A MCA member as well. This member I called a hypocrite because of his water usage on his yard, or future usage. Ringing a bell? ANyways, I was out of line. This man has done nothing to improve Moscow. We can all improve our lives and better this world, but for me to come down on this man was unjust. A moment I am not proud of.

However, I still don't condone calling the GMA candidates water hoards. These men are also trying to better our community. If you don't want to vote for the GMA guys then don't. Just don't make shit up. Just like the fact that MCA is isn't anti growth.

Matt