[Vision2020] Fw: CRAPO PUSHES TO RETUN AMTRAK TO IDAHO

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Oct 30 13:08:55 PDT 2007

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:11:59 -0700
Subject: CRAPO PUSHES TO RETUN AMTRAK TO IDAHO

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:    Susan Wheeler (202) 224-5150

October 29, 2007
Lindsay Nothern (208) 344-1108

CRAPO PUSHES TO RETURN AMTRAK TO IDAHO

Files amendment; receives written commitment from Amtrak president

Washington, DC - Idaho Senator Mike Crapo has launched an aggressive
push to return passenger railroad service to southern Idaho.  Crapo
today filed an amendment to S. 294, a bill to fund Amtrak now being
debated on the Senate floor; that amendment will strengthen an effort
already in the bill to return the former Pioneer Route across southern
Idaho in several ways.

Crapo's amendment will ensure that Amtrak uses the same new methodology
to determine whether to reinstate passenger rail service along the
Pioneer Route or along segments of that route as is used on all Amtrak
routes.  It also requires the new methodology to consider the
transportation needs of communities that are not well served by Amtrak,
and it reduces from two years to one the time frame under which Amtrak
must study returning the route to Idaho.

"This push is far from over, but we have made substantial progress in
the likelihood we can bring back the trains," Crapo said.  "For the
first time, Amtrak has given Idahoans a written commitment-one that
promises to visit the state and meet with Idahoans.  I am pleased that
the effort toward restoring Amtrak service to southern Idaho is
receiving support, and look forward to bringing this issue to the full
Senate later this week."

Last week, Crapo received a letter from Alex Kummant, President and CEO
of Amtrak.  In the letter, Kummant states, "I will make it a personal
priority of mine to visit your home state and learn firsthand of the
opportunities that exist in Idaho and other western states for expanded
intercity passenger rail service."

The Senate resumes debate this week on S. 294, the Passenger Rail
Investment and Improvement Act of 2007, authored by Senator Frank
Lautenberg (D-New Jersey).  Crapo's amendment is likely to be considered
this week.

Amtrak discontinued passenger rail service between Seattle to Chicago
(commonly known as the Pioneer Route) in 1997.  The route went through
Boise, Twin Falls and Pocatello.  Amtrak service has continued through
Sandpoint, in Idaho's Panhandle, on a northern route from Chicago to
Seattle.

The letter from Amtrak's president to Senator Crapo accompanies this
news release.

To directly link to this news release, please use the following address:

http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=286231.

# # #

This is generated from an unattended mailbox, which does not distribute
incoming e-mail messages. If you have constituent comments or
information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo, please do so at
the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov
<http://crapo.senate.gov/> . Comments sent to this e-mail address will
not receive a response.

Learn more about the issues before Congress at http://crapo.senate.gov