[Vision2020] 9/11-what should our reaction have been?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 28 21:46:11 PDT 2007

Anger, yes I felt that too.  However, we weren't attacked by the entire
Arabic culture, we were attacked by members of Al-Qaeda.  Since when did
it become ok to attack a culture in lieu of those responsible?  I'm not
talking about you, I'm talking about us as a country.  I remember
hearing in the news at the time about some Mexicans that were beat up
because some people thought they were Arabic.  We attacked Afghanistan,
and then we attacked Iraq.  In my opinion, we let our leadership
manipulate us by using our prejudices against us.  Just one more reason
prejudice should be fought.

Why didn't we immediately go to the Arabic countries and say "We don't
hold you responsible, but we do need your help in tracking this one
group down".  It should have always been about tracking them down.  Do
we even know who gave the orders today to fly those planes?  Was it Bin
Laden?  Or did he just jump in and take the credit?  Where is he,
anyway?  This should have been one of the most massive investigations in
history, and it should have happened internationally.  If a country
wouldn't play along, there should have been international sanctions that
might eventually have led to military action.  If they were caught, they
should have been tried by an international tribunal, just like the
Nuremberg trials.  The terrorists should have been feeling that there
was no safe haven for them, and that the international community would
never rest in it's efforts to find them.  Instead, we went and pissed in
a hornets nest.  Now they have more allies than they ever have had in
the past.  Are any of the people responsible for 9/11 in Guantanamo or
in one of our secret prisons?  Why, in the name of everything that is
sacred to us as a country, do we even have secret prisons?  Do any of
their names appear on our list of suspected terrorists, which last I
heard has over 750,000 names on it?

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't change your middle name.  Wikipedia says
that Tariq means either bringer of messages, shining star, or he who
leads the way.  We could use all of those right about now.

Paul