[Vision2020] Fw: Re: Western U.S. Forest Wildfire Activity

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Fri Oct 26 11:08:02 PDT 2007

Sunil
There seems to be a problem with "reply all" for this email so I am forwarding it instead.

The underbrush problem is a general one. Not clearing out underbrush is part of the Forest Service's policy. It has been well documented that at least some vocal environmentalist do not want any intervention by man or management of the forests. This includes thinning out underbrush  or insect control. Dead trees due to insect infestation adds to the fire hazard provided by underbrush. They are partly right in that before man's involvement ther were small fires that cleared the underbrush which prevented a hotter fire from wiping out the entire forest. Not all environmentalist or forest managers see it this way. There is legislation being proposed at the state and national level to change this policy.
Roger