[Vision2020] Western U.S. Forest Wildfire Activity

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:15:22 PDT 2007

Ok - how about the possibility and likely PROBABILITY that the increase in forest fires (which happen EVERY SINGLE YEAR in California) is due to an increase of people moving into an area that once was "wilderness"?  THAT is what should be looked at.  Repeatedly yesterday, the news sources and experts interviewed (including the fire-fighters) all said the same thing - people are building in areas they have no business being.  The fires were man-made in that a welders spark, a transformer and someone playing with matches were all blamed for the start of the fires.  Yes, the fuel is all dry and tender is everywhere, but without exception, everyone said that if man was not building there, the destruction would not be anywhere near what it is.

This happens every year, Ted.  I remember hearing and seeing and smelling the fires when I was 5 and living in/around L.A. - it's just a part of living in that part of California.

Period!

J  :]