[Vision2020] Water Concern?

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Thu Oct 18 23:38:48 PDT 2007

In part, Jeff says:
  | And frankly, I have not heard any of the statements you attribute to
  | Wayne Krauss, Walter Steed or Dan Carscallen.  And if they did make
  | those remarks, please tell me where and when.
For statements by your candidates, Jeff, if those statements already provided for you in this forum by David Johnson of the Lewiston Tribune, or the KLEW transcript, or the Daily News, all of which have already been provided to your candidates shame, why don't you look forward to the live recordings of their answers at the Chamber forum, all of which will soon be available on-line and on "you tube"?

Since they've been recorded and will be placed on-line, it will be especially interesting to see how the GMA's water-wasting candidates try to deal with their insensitive and environmentally unsound theories, knowing that the flip flop is waiting to be recorded, too.

I agree with you that all candidates, MCA-endorsed, GMA-endorsed, and Evan Homes (the independent candidate running on his own), believe that they are "for" the community, and so on and so forth.  But the vision of all is not the same, and the vision of the GMA candidates -- Naylor Farms mine loving, all retail loving, water wasting candidates -- does not fit with Moscow.

I am convinced that Linda, Aaron,  and Tom are the best candidates.   Of course, that is only my opinion.  And though I was waiting to see what was up with Walter and Evan, and we at the MCA have not endorsed Evan, Evan's astute answers on economic development and water are convincing me that he is the better choice.

Bruce

P.S.  Since I am not positive that the Daily News article, that included the candidates' water statements, had been presented on this forum, I will copy it here.
Moscow City Council candidates dive into water issues

Tara Roberts, Daily News staff writer

Thursday, October 18, 2007 - Page Updated at 12:00:00 AM

Moscow City Council candidates were divided on issues of water and economic development at the Moscow Chamber of Commerce forum Wednesday.

Due to time constraints, the candidates were able to answer just three questions. Chamber board member Mark Loaiza, who is on the Palouse Basin Aquifer Committee citizens advisory board, asked the candidates to explain their views on water regulation in Moscow and what the city should do to sustain water resources.

All the candidates voiced support for PBAC, but disagreed about whether Moscow is facing a declining water source.

Four-year candidate Dan Carscallen said he does not believe there is a water supply problem, but the city should explore other water sources for when there is a problem.

"We can't just be one-note on the water situation," Carscallen said. "I think it's been used as a way to stop growth in our city."

Two-year candidate Walter Steed and four-year candidate Wayne Krauss agreed with Carscallen that there is no immediate emergency.

Steed said he's seen conflicting statistics about the Grande Ronde aquifer, which serves as Moscow's primary water source. He believes engineers can find empirical evidence to show if there truly is a problem.

Steed said he felt somewhat like he was talking "out of both sides of (his) mouth" by questioning Moscow's rising water rates. In his job as a consultant, he's encouraged other communities to raise their water rates. Still, he is concerned that people in Moscow cannot afford to water their lawns.

Krauss also lamented the loss of green lawns in Moscow.

"Folks, I'm tired of seeing all our yards just burned up, including the cemetery," he said.

Krauss said there could be 200 years worth of water left in the aquifer, but the city should consider how it's "going to stabilize our situation." He questioned whether it is worth it to conserve water in Moscow when more water is being used in Pullman.

Two-year candidate Evan Holmes said Moscow needs to protect its quality drinking water, calling it an essential part of the city's wealth.

Holmes said he's not sure if more study into the aquifer situation is needed.

"More conservation and more study doesn't necessarily yield more water," he said.

Holmes said the city should have a plan in place for another water source, such as a reservoir, and begin putting money toward it.

Four-year candidate and current council member Aaron Ament said the city knows the water level in the Grand Ronde is dropping, which should be "a signal to conserve what we have."

Four-year candidate and current council member Tom Lamar, who also is executive director of the Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute, said the city should be a good steward of water resources.

"I think water conservation is critical," he said.

The aquifer levels continue to drop even when the city uses less water, Lamar said. He encourages recovering water in reservoirs or rainwater catchment systems. People should not forget about surface-water resources such as Paradise Creek, and be aware of how they are affected by the city's stormwater and wastewater decisions.

Four-year candidate and current council member Linda Pall agreed that water conservation is important. She said the city's conservation mechanisms are working well.

"My issue with water is we have a limited supply, we don't know how much we have and our straw is taking out quite a bit from the aquifer right now," she said.

She said the city has a budget item for future studies for a possible reservoir.

Economic development

Chamber of Commerce board member Gary Hagen asked the candidates what role the city should play in economic development.

Pall reiterated her desire for a city economic development coordinator, which she tried and failed to have included in the 2008 city budget. She said it is important to have someone "take care of the follow-through for the city's economic development priorities."

Ament said he supports the idea of a city development coordinator. He also would like to see the chamber reach out to a wider group, and more downtown businesses to join the chamber.

"There is work to be done and I encourage the chamber in its outreach to our area's businesses," Ament said.

He said economic development includes caring about public education, water resources and helping the city's existing tax base.

Lamar said growth should focus on expanding the city's existing businesses. Business owners have told him they stay in Moscow because of the quality of life.

He said the city needs a long-term vision for its economy.

"I have a belief that a strong economy is dependent on a strong environment and a strong community," he said.

Holmes emphasized economic stability, a key topic in his campaign. He said the city should focus on planning for growth in a way that isn't divisive or "willy-nilly."

"Economic development doesn't really happen at the City Council level or at the voter level," he said. "It really happens when investors are willing to take risks on your city."

Holmes said growth should not focus on retail, but retail should result from other types of economic development.

On the other hand, Steed said Moscow needs to increase its shopping opportunities to make it more attractive to people.

Steed said he sees the Latah Economic Development Council and chamber as marketers for the community. The city's role is to pass zoning laws, help existing businesses and bring in more businesses.

Carscallen said the city should work in the background of economic development, applying its codes to businesses that want to locate in town.

Krauss said the city should work on improving its economic image and assisting developers with their goals to locate in Moscow. Some people perceive the community as unwelcoming to businesses.

"If that's a perception, why do we have it?" Krauss asked.

Public transportation

The candidates were more in harmony on issues of public transportation. Forum moderator Mark Boehne asked what the city can do to improve public transportation.

Several candidates commended the work of Tom La Pointe, director of Valley Transit.

"I think the best thing we can do is whatever Tom La Pointe tells us to," Carscallen said.

Many candidates said the bus system has grown and will continue to grow. Ament said the city has increased its funding for Moscow Valley Transit over the past few years.

"This is clearly something our community supports," he said.

Ament and Lamar said they'd like to see funds generated to add a third route and increase the bus system's hours. Holmes said the city grant writer should put efforts toward finding funds.

Lamar said it is vital to continue the Wheatland Express bus service between Moscow and Pullman, and Krauss said the city should consider utilizing the rail lines between the cities for transportation.

Steed, who was a founding member of the Transportation Commission with Lamar, said the city should focus on "multimodal" transportation and connect sidewalks as well as support the bus system.

Krauss also said the city should consider creating a trolley system, an idea he heard from Pall.

Pall called the trolley idea "light, light rail" and suggested routes from the University of Idaho Administration Building to Friendship Square and from Friendship Square around the city to Mountain View Road.

The trolley idea is a ways in the future, Pall said. If it is ever a reality, it will need the support of the UI.

"We absolutely need their help and support to make public transportation work," Pall said.

Other forums will be 11:30 a.m. Friday at the Best Western-University Inn, sponsored by the AARP, and at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Moscow High School Auditorium, sponsored by the League of Women Voters and the Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Tara Roberts can be reached at (208) 882-5561, ext. 234, or by e-mail at troberts at dnews.com.