[Vision2020] Walter Steed's pig farm

Bill London london at moscow.com
Thu Oct 18 11:44:50 PDT 2007

The transcript of the news broadcast from KLEW-TV of the Chamber of Commerce candidate forum (below) contains a great quote from Walter Steed.

"I've been criticized lately for saying I would welcome all businesses that wish to come to Moscow," said Walter Steed. "And, that's true. I don't mean that I want to put a pig farm next to someone's house. But, on the other hand, I would like to talk to them about it and see if there's a place it could be located."

My questions to Steed: where in Moscow do you want to locate a pig farm?  are there any businesses which are so stinky and disgusting that you do not want to bring them to Moscow?
BL

-----------------
KLEW-TV, Lewiston

MOSCOW - Seven candidates for the Moscow City Council took part in their first public forum Wednesday.

The Moscow Chamber of Commerce hosted the event at the University Inn in Moscow.

Running for a two-year term are Evan Holmes and Walter Steed. Four-year position candidates include incumbents Aaron Ament, Tom Lamar and Linda Pall, along with Dan Carscallen and Wayne Krauss.

Candidates talked about transportation challenges, They also talked about growth and attracting new business to the area.

"The City of Moscow has to work very hard at creating an image of being very welcoming to new development," said Wayne Krauss.

"I've been criticized lately for saying I would welcome all businesses that wish to come to Moscow," said Walter Steed. "And, that's true. I don't mean that I want to put a pig farm next to someone's house. But, on the other hand, I would like to talk to them about it and see if there's a place it could be located."

"Economic development doesn't really happen at the city council level or at the voter level or a number of things we'd like to get energized about," said Evan Holmes. "It really happens when investors are comfortable taking a risk on your community."

The area's water supply was also brought up during the noon time forum.

"I don't think we have a water supply problem," said Dan Carscallen. "I think we have more of a management problem."

"What I don't like the idea of, is for us to try and save water here in Moscow so it can be used further downstream," said Krauss. "Washington State University is building a golf course that's going to use an additional 50 million gallons of water a year. How much are we saving by raising our water rates and letting our yards turn brown and burn up?"

The candidates are scheduled to appear in what Mayor Nancy Chaney said will be a less formal type of situation Sunday from 2:00 to 4:00 at the Hamilton Indoor Recreation Center.