[Vision2020] Coulter's Dream - from CNN

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 17 17:36:09 PDT 2007

Ted,

There is a difference between knowledge and belief. Having knowledge -- by
my lights -- entails having evidence and it is the nature of evidence that it is
measured by certain objective standards about what counts as evidence and
what counts as a cogent inference. In short, it needs to cover certain
standards that are endorsed by a wide array of people.

Faith -- by my lights -- deals with belief, not knowledge. Personally, I feel like
I have knowledge of God's existence but no knowledge of his nature. What I
think about his nature rests on faith -- in my particular case. This is a kind of
traditional view about the existence and nature of God accepted by
rationalists, like myself, for much of the history of Western Philosophy. I'm
not claiming that the view is popular but it is not uncommon.

I believe that God is a person. Do I know this? I don't see how I know this --
in the way that I use the term 'know,' as entailing that I have some evidential
support for the claim, something that most others would accept as evidence.
Note that religious experience won't do by these standards since the others
would at least need to have had the experience in order to be convinced.
These are all debatable issues and others thoughtfully disagree.

Personally, I wouldn't classify my views about God as having much to do with
doubt, as opposed to mere lack of knowledge, BUT I think it is important to
note that VERY religious people have had doubt about God's existence --
Mother Teresa, Gerard Manely Hopkins, and St. Augustine to name a few.

Best, Joe

---- Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com> wrote:

=============
On 10/16/07, g. crabtree <jampot at roadrunner.com> wrote:

>  And what exactly would be your point here, Mr. Moffett?

The point is exactly what I wrote below.  I could, and probably
should, expand and rewrite this statement, given it is not as clear and
precise as I would like.  But I think for the most part the point comes
across:

 If Mother Teresa (Agnes Bojaxhiu), winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, can
have moments of doubt about God, faith and religion, so can anybody who
professes belief about anything.
----
As to how this statement does or does not impact your discussion with Mr.
Campbell, I leave it to the reader.

Ted Moffett