[Vision2020] The Human Toll

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Oct 16 15:39:28 PDT 2007

"The notion that we ought to now go to Baghdad and somehow take control of
the country strikes me as an extremely serious one in terms of what we'd
have to do once we got there. You'd probably have to put some new government
in place. It's not clear what kind of government that would be, how long
you'd have to stay. For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining
the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern in Iraq strikes me as
a classic definition of a quagmire." - Dick Cheney, 1991

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3
<javascript:ol('http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3');>

And Dick Cheney again in 1994

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a8_1186873756

-------------------------------

"I think Rumsfeld, Cheney, and the president made a big mistake in
justifying going into the war in Iraq. They put the emphasis on weapons of
mass destruction." - Gerald R. Ford (July 28, 2004)

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Ford_Iraq_Big_Mistake.mp3
<javascript:ol('http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3');>

>From the October 22, 2007 edition of the Army Times -

-------------------------------

U.S. service members who died while supporting combat operations in Iraq,
confirmed by the Defense Department from October 5 through October 11:

Army Spc. Frank L. Cady III, 20, of Sacramento, California; assigned to the
4th Special Troops Battalion, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry
Division, Fort Riley, Kansas.

Army Staff Sgt. Lillian Clamens, 35, of Lawton, Oklahoma; assigned to the
1st Postal Platoon, 834th Adjutant General Company, Miami, Florida.

Army Pfc. Kenneth J. Iwasinski, 22, of West Springfield, Massachusetts;
assigned to 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team,
2nd Infantry Division,  Fort Carson, Colorado.

Army Spc. Jason B. Koutroubas, 21, of Dunnellon, Florida; assigned to
Special Troops Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division,
Fort Bliss, Texas.

Army Sgt. Jason M. Lantieri, 25, of Killingworth, Connecticut; assigned to
the 725th Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne),
25th Infantry Division, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

Army 1st Lt. Thomas M. Martin, 27, of  Ward, Arkansas; assigned to 1st
Squadron, 40th Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th
Infantry Division, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

Army Cpl. Gilberto A. Meza, 21, of Oxnard, California; assigned to the 3rd
Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany.

Army Sgt.1st Class Justin S. Monschke, 28, of Krum, Texas; assigned to 2nd
Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Army Staff Sgt. Donald L. Munn II, 25, of Saint Clairs Shores, Michigan;
assigned to Special Troops Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood,
Texas.

Army Spc. Samuel F. Pearson, 28, of Westerville, Ohio; assigned to the 376th
Finance Company, 88th Regional Readiness Command, Wausau, Wisconsin.

Army Pvt. Nathan Z. Thacker, 18, of Greenbrier, Arkansas; assigned to the
2nd Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th
Mountain Division, Fort Drum, New York.

October 5 - October 11

Killed: 11; wounded in action: 78

March 19, 2003 - October 11, 2007

Killed: 3,811; wounded in action: 28,171

-------------------------------

The following U.S. service members died while supporting combat operations
in Afghanistan, confirmed by the Defense Department from October 5 through
October 11:

October 5 - October 11

Killed: 0; Wounded in action: 25

Oct. 10, 2001 - October 11, 2007

Killed: 440; Wounded in action: 1,652

-------------------------------

National Guard (In Federal Status) and Reserve Mobilized

(as of October 10, 2007)

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Oct2007/d20071010ngr.pdf

And the beat goes on . . .

"Bring 'em Home"

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Bring_em_home.mp3
<javascript:ol('http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3');>

"If you love this land of the free

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Bring them back from overseas

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

It will make the politicians sad, I know

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna tangle with their foe

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna test their grand theories

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

With the blood of you and me

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Now we'll give no more brave young lives

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

For the gleam in someone's eyes

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The men will cheer and the boys will shout

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Yeah and we will all turn out

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The church bells will ring with joy

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

To welcome our darlin' girls and boys

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

We will lift our voice and sound

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Yeah, when Johnny comes marching home

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home."

Pro patria,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime." -- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.