[Vision2020] Coulter's Dream - from CNN

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:34:49 PDT 2007

Gary wrote:

> I don't recall making any comment as to whether I believed your assertion
> of being a Christian or not and I certainly make no judgment with regard to
> your level of commitment to whatever it is you do believe but,It certainly
> seems to me that reasonable people could come to the conclusion that you are
> disposed toward a certain religious ambiguity.

If Mother Teresa (Agnes Bojaxhiu), winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, can have
moments of doubt about God, faith and religion, so can anybody who professes
belief about anything:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1655415,00.html

"...the Teresa of the letters lived in a state of deep and abiding spiritual
pain. In more than 40 communications, many of which have never before been
published, she bemoans the "dryness," "darkness," "loneliness" and "torture"
she is undergoing. She compares the experience to hell and at one point says
it has driven her to doubt the existence of heaven and even of God."

"The church anticipates spiritually fallow periods. Indeed, the Spanish
mystic St. John of the Cross in the 16th century coined the term the "dark
night" of the soul to describe a characteristic stage in the growth of some
spiritual masters. Teresa's may be the most extensive such case on record.
(The "dark night" of the 18th century mystic St. Paul of the Cross lasted 45
years; he ultimately recovered.) Yet Kolodiejchuk sees it in St. John's
context, as darkness within faith. Teresa found ways, starting in the early
1960s, to live with it and abandoned neither her belief nor her work.
Kolodiejchuk produced the book as proof of the faith-filled perseverance
that he sees as her most spiritually heroic act."