[Vision2020] Friday Fireworks

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sun Oct 14 23:51:03 PDT 2007

Matt,

You still don't understand the difference between 20 percent of UI
staff who make under $10.75 per hour, and faculty who have been
getting pretty good raises, although still at the bottom of their
peer institutions.

Just for the record, I did quit four years ago.  It's called retirement.

To Donovan: my proposal used the CPI as a standard.  I never made it
to the CPI, but the upper administration have done it for
years.  Only those above the CPI would donate their extras wages.

Nick Gier

At 05:59 PM 10/14/2007, you wrote:
>Nick,
>
>The great thing about your and my job is we can quit. If you don't
>think you make enough than quit. I doubt our wounded soldiers can do that.
>
>So again I would rather donate my meager earnings to our troops than
>to the "highly underpaid" staff.
>
>Matt
>
> > Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:12:38 -0700
> > From: nickgier at adelphia.net
> > To: mattd2107 at hotmail.com
> > CC: vision2020 at moscow.com
> > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Friday Fireworks
> >
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > You misunderstood what the issue was about. In my post I made a
> clear distinction between the administrators and faculty, who have
> received good pay raises over the past four years, while classified
> staff have not. Nearly 20 percent, according to Tom Trail's
> figures, are under the poverty line.
> >
> > I also noted that administrators are way ahead of the CPI and
> full professors are way behind, but UI staff are even further
> behind, how much we don't know because salary figures are available.
> >
> > My new suggestion is that UI administrators donate all their
> salary above the CPI to fund a living wage of $10.75 for all UI
> classified staff.
> >
> > Nick

> > List services made available by First Step Internet,
> > http://www.fsr.net
> > mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com
>

>----------
>Boo! Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live
>OneCare!
><http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/purchase/trial.aspx?s_cid=wl_hotmailnews>Try
>now!
>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to
human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each
part by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole
and on the interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our
intellectual life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between
science, religion, and art. The whole is never equal simply to the
sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm