[Vision2020] A Caution

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Oct 9 13:04:45 PDT 2007

I feel compelled, since I'm listed as a resource below by "Christ's Avengers," to say that I have no idea who wrote this.  While I'm grateful to anyone who helps in exposing the errors of Christ Church leadership, and I stand completely behind the things I've written and said about them for the last 5 1/2 years, I'm not sure that labeling oneself as an "avenger" of Christ is the most productive way to go.  I've written before about the difficulties I have with anonymous posts -- I have never and will never fail to use my name in connection with what I say and do -- and yet I do understand the fear people who've left the church live in.  It's just that anonymity, however necessary it might be, greatly reduces the effectiveness and credibility of the message; a sensational approach such as "Christ's Avengers" further contributes to what some think is just a wild, hateful, un-Biblical vendetta against the Kirk.

It's ironic, though, that the simple act of leaving a church -- not renouncing Christianity, not committing some habitual sin, not trashing people with unsupported claims and criticisms, but just choosing to worship elsewhere -- leads to such scrambling self-protection on the part of Kirk leadership and such sustained vitriol against former members.   I think it's a pretty safe bet that any organization you're afraid to leave is one you shouldn't join in the first place.  That an example here is a "Christian" church is alarming, and one has to just wonder what Christ Church is so upset about when people leave.  Another safe bet:  If your organization's practices are such that you fear losing members because they might expose the climate and conduct operating within, your problem isn't that people are leaving.  Your problem is that some have stayed, and if you're a church leader, their fear of moving on is added to a spiritual account that someday you'll have to answer for.

keely